318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

.
» Recent Threads
I miss C'ing Ti Pics
07-31-2021 08:08 AM
Last post by b0m
08-02-2021 01:18 AM
3 Replies, 776 Views
1999 318ti w/ M-Sport &...
07-31-2021 08:49 PM
Last post by AlexWJD
07-31-2021 08:49 PM
0 Replies, 253 Views
unfinished supercharged...
06-22-2021 03:57 PM
Last post by Spartan 059
07-31-2021 01:29 PM
6 Replies, 5,952 Views
recommendations for...
07-13-2021 04:48 AM
Last post by BRADESTAR
07-31-2021 08:20 AM
3 Replies, 1,042 Views
'95 Boston Green, ALL...
06-29-2021 04:24 PM
Last post by irdave
07-27-2021 02:21 AM
10 Replies, 3,511 Views
New to the group
05-30-2021 05:47 AM
Last post by FunElan
07-27-2021 12:02 AM
4 Replies, 2,427 Views
What model ti do you own?
02-26-2003 03:40 AM
Last post by sarinasr75
07-26-2021 02:40 PM
340 Replies, 173,166 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Platanos
Senior Member
 
Platanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,905
iTrader: (5)
Default OBDI S52 clubsport

Hello brothers and sisters!! This is my FIRST attempt at such a daunting task. Keep in mind that I'm only somewhat a weekend mechanic (oil changes, suspension, starters....ect.) I have been putting this off for some time now, mainly because I've been scared to start this. I know I'm doing this to a rare clubsport but oh well, it needs more power!!

Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer and I'm tired of not having garage space, here we go. My 1999 S52 is coming from my e30 cabrio. It is already setup as OBDI. I will be replacing the harness and oil pan. The harness is really ugly and I just don't trust it. I plan on scraping the e30 because of rust issues. So my first task is to take it apart and sell whatever I can. I have already sold the suspension, 3.73lsd diff (should have kept it), trailing arms, bits and pieces of interior.

I am really proud of myself with what I accomplished today so far. I removed the engine harness (I have NO IDEA where everything will get plugged back in), Intake manifold, exhaust, and I'm currently working on the drive shaft (lunch break). Let me know what you guys think and please comment if you see that I'm doing something wrong. Here are a few pics....








I hope I know where everything goes back.....
__________________

Last edited by Platanos; 02-21-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
slow_ti
Senior Member
 
slow_ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Potomac Falls VA DMV
Posts: 1,794
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos View Post
Hello brothers and sisters!! This is my FIRST attempt at such a daunting task. Keep in mind that I'm only somewhat a weekend mechanic (oil changes, suspension, starters....ect.) I have been putting this off for some time now, mainly because I've been scared to start this. I know I'm doing this to a rare clubsport but oh well, it needs more power!!

Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer and I'm tired of not having garage space, here we go. My 1999 S52 is coming from my e30 cabrio. It is already setup as OBDI. I will be replacing the harness and oil pan. The harness is really ugly and I just don't trust it. I plan on scraping the e30 because of rust issues. So my first task is to take it apart and sell whatever I can. I have already sold the suspension, 3.73lsd diff (should have kept it), trailing arms, bits and pieces of interior.

I am really proud of myself with what I accomplished today so far. I removed the engine harness (I have NO IDEA where everything will get plugged back in), Intake manifold, exhaust, and I'm currently working on the drive shaft (lunch break). Let me know what you guys think and please comment if you see that I'm doing something wrong. Here are a few pics....








I hope I know where everything goes back.....
Nice. Mark things and where they go back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Im guessing im the youngest member on here with a S52 power'ed Ti at 16 years old!
slow_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
318_mzk2
Senior Member
 
318_mzk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 1,099
iTrader: (5)
Default

so it has officialy begun...

whats up w the e30 is it really bad?
__________________
318ti MZK2
318_mzk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Platanos
Senior Member
 
Platanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,905
iTrader: (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_ti View Post
Nice. Mark things and where try go back


I'm trying to put back all the nuts and bolts where they belong right after I take them out. I did not do this to the harness because i plan on getting a new one and I don't know the names of all the plugs....lol


Drive shaft is out.





Now I have to wait for my neighbor to get home from work so I can use his hoist. I think the motor is ready to be pulled. I disconnected the shifter linkage, drive shaft, not sure what else need apart for the motor to come out....oh I guess I better do the radiator.
__________________
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Platanos
Senior Member
 
Platanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,905
iTrader: (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318_mzk2 View Post
so it has officialy begun...

whats up w the e30 is it really bad?

e30 isn't that bad at all, I'm just tired of it. It was the wrong platform to begin with....I just want it gone.

How's your swap coming along?
__________________
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
318_mzk2
Senior Member
 
318_mzk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 1,099
iTrader: (5)
Default

so its not rolling?

im currently still working on my engine bay and rerouting all the wires for the wire tuck...

still waiting for my cam/injectors and tune to arrive and figure out what im going to do about headers now since some one stole mine from my front door..

well looks like its coming along pretty good man...
__________________
318ti MZK2
318_mzk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Platanos
Senior Member
 
Platanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,905
iTrader: (5)
Default

No, its not rolling....I have no idea how I'm gonna get it out....lol I guess in pieces. I'm hoping someone can drag it out onto a rollback.

Your gonna have to show me what needs to be done to tuck the wires. I really liked how clean Reason's came out. I'm gonna need details!!!

Someone stole your headers??? wtf! What kind of cams and injectors you getting?
__________________
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Platanos
Senior Member
 
Platanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,905
iTrader: (5)
Default

Once the motor is out, I want to change ALL the seals and gaskets. What do I need?? Head/valve/oil pan.....what else? Those are the only 3 I know of.
__________________
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
318_mzk2
Senior Member
 
318_mzk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 1,099
iTrader: (5)
Default

show me some pics of the e30..i might be interested to bring it back to life..

check out my thread i put some pictures up of the wiring and where im runing it threw..

yea man ups left the package on my door and some one took it..

since its a m52 i got s52 cams/24lbs injectors/3.5hfm/turner chip

i bought all the seals/gaskets for my m52 now that its out im going to change them all..
i got the head gasket set. and the crank case gasket set. along w headbolts/ .75c thermostat/slim fan
__________________
318ti MZK2
318_mzk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
BMW_Hatchback
Moderator
 
BMW_Hatchback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,217
iTrader: (1)
Default

so this is where the progress is
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
budget76
Senior Member
 
budget76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rocky Hill, CT
Posts: 1,066
iTrader: (1)
Default

Nice progress!

With the motor out, I'd do the oil pan, valve cover, t-stat housing and replace with metal (if it isn't), and check the coolant stuff in the rear of the motor if it's got it.

The one thing that jumps out at me, if you can, put the intake manifold on before you put the motor into the TI. When I did my head the intake mani was literally the worst part of it, I couldn't get my hands/any tools on the back couple nuts, and it took me forever. Pretty sure I'm still missing one of the rearmost ones too
__________________
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.

Last edited by budget76; 02-21-2011 at 11:15 PM.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
318_mzk2
Senior Member
 
318_mzk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 1,099
iTrader: (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
Nice progress!

With the motor out, I'd do the oil pan, valve cover, t-stat housing and replace with metal (if it isn't), and check the coolant stuff in the rear of the motor if it's got it.

The one thing that jumps out at me, if you can, put the intake manifold on before you put the motor into the TI. When I did my head the intake mani was literally the worst part of it, I couldn't get my hands/any tools on the back couple nuts, and it took me forever. Pretty sure I'm still missing one of the rearmost ones too
i agree on all the gasket/and coolant parts..

for some reason its always easier for me to put the motor in w/out the intake manifold...the last nut by the firewall its a pita to get in all you gota do is move the wirirng harnes and the cover where the cabin filter go and theres enought space to get hands in.

i always use a magnet just in case
__________________
318ti MZK2
318_mzk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
budget76
Senior Member
 
budget76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rocky Hill, CT
Posts: 1,066
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318_mzk2 View Post
i agree on all the gasket/and coolant parts..

for some reason its always easier for me to put the motor in w/out the intake manifold...the last nut by the firewall its a pita to get in all you gota do is move the wirirng harnes and the cover where the cabin filter go and theres enought space to get hands in.

i always use a magnet just in case
yep, pretty sure that's the one that isn't there. I remember I had the harness loose as well as the air intake thing, but just couldn't get to it. Owell, hasn't cause a problem. Makes sense it's easier w/out the mani though, less risk of breaking something+more room.
__________________
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #14
Platanos
Senior Member
 
Platanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,905
iTrader: (5)
Default

Thanks for the info fellas. I haven't even thought about how to drop the motor in the ti. It wasn't too horrible taking the mani off in the e30. But I can see where that last bolt in the mani might be troublesome. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I was hoping to have the motor out last night but my neighbor lent his hoist out. Doesn't know when he'll get it back. I guess I gotta by a freaking hoist....and a stand.
__________________
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #15
budget76
Senior Member
 
budget76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rocky Hill, CT
Posts: 1,066
iTrader: (1)
Default

Dunno where in PA you are, but I have a stand and hoist you could borrow in 08736 (near Seaside/Point Pleasant). Free of course, dad would probably just want some kind of deposit. They're already apart for storage, so easy to pack up and move around
__________________
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OBDI MAF Flametail US and North America 0 08-13-2010 02:50 PM
Question on an obdII to OBDI swap romanescobar Engine Swaps 2 08-31-2008 01:34 AM
OBDI Vs OBD II kirbykirbykirby3 Maintenance 20 11-13-2007 03:36 AM
OBDI to OBDII? sixafterfour Engine Swaps 4 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
OBDI MOTR TO OBDII CAR??? Sunday Engine Swaps 17 03-27-2003 12:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 PM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2021, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 132.35 k/156.89 k (15.64%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.