318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
WTB: 318ti clubsport in...
05-21-2021 02:08 PM
Last post by jasminemicheal
Yesterday 11:55 AM
6 Replies, 2,395 Views
WTB: Manual 318ti
05-17-2021 09:34 PM
Yesterday 11:54 AM
3 Replies, 2,453 Views
WTB: M-Tech molding
06-25-2021 02:07 AM
Yesterday 11:54 AM
3 Replies, 3,709 Views
New
Yesterday 11:53 AM
Yesterday 11:53 AM
0 Replies, 69 Views
BMW type 32 alloy wheels...
07-22-2021 02:41 AM
Last post by old_sports_cars
07-22-2021 02:41 AM
0 Replies, 267 Views
15x6 steel wheels and...
07-22-2021 02:36 AM
Last post by old_sports_cars
07-22-2021 02:36 AM
0 Replies, 100 Views
Colorado Front Range...
07-11-2021 03:23 PM
Last post by b0m
07-20-2021 04:56 AM
9 Replies, 1,010 Views
'95 Boston Green, ALL...
06-29-2021 04:24 PM
Last post by 06MR6
07-20-2021 01:20 AM
8 Replies, 2,503 Views
WMD 456 Supercharger Kit...
07-13-2021 09:28 AM
Last post by MisterM52
07-16-2021 10:12 AM
2 Replies, 619 Views
recommendations for...
07-13-2021 04:48 AM
Last post by happysloth
07-15-2021 12:07 AM
2 Replies, 535 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #16
KUBI

Thanks Bullmand, the description you gave here is exactly the problem I have. - (My cold-start problem (difficulty starting and then feeling like it wasn't running on all cylinders) was completely resolved after replacing the injector vacuum lines, the cam sensor, and having the injectors cleaned.)

It's been very cold this week. Very difficult to start and smell of gas after start. But after a few seconds the idle was fine and running great. Then one day was warmer but humid, it started but definitely not running on all cylinders so I stopped and it never restarted, now it just turns and floods... strong gas smell in oil.

I can't fix myself, too cold and I'm parked on the street.. so will be sent to my trusted mechanic to fix with this post as reference. I guess the cam sensor is the key. Hope it fixes it - will reply when done.
KUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #17
m_souders

Another update, and welcome to the thread, bmeck88 and KUBI. The Lehigh Valley continues to get more snow/sleet/rain, and the roads have become a treacherous patchwork of ice and slush. I haven't found much of a reason to move my car, and I don't want to lose my parking space on the street. I've shoveled so many spots on my street, the city of Bethlehem should start paying me.

The startup is still pretty rough some days, and it's worst when the air is especially cold (below 20 F) and the engine has had time to sit overnight. But if I let the engine "air out" after a failed start for 15 minutes or so, it starts up with only a small amount of lumpiness. Still no codes.

For bmeck88 and KUBI: When you're having trouble starting, it may just be flooded. The DME is sending too much fuel at startup, like a heavy choke, and the plugs get wet. Try to pull the plugs and blow out the cylinders. And try to clean the plugs, too. Dirty plugs will definitely lead to a poor start, which leads to dirtier plugs. I don't know if replacing the CPS or CKS is a definite fix. But for now, I have trouble starting in the cold. And then I have trouble moving on the ice. And then I have trouble finding a clear enough spot to park when I come back... Just have to wait till everything thaws out, I guess.

TL;DR - Not much to update at the moment. Still having starting troubles.
m_souders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
bmeck88

Kubi are you saying that when you replace the cps that fix your issue? or still having problem. Mine after cleaning the maf with cfc cleaner that help a little bit but still have bouncing rpm ~30sec in the cold morning like this week in mtl.

souder let me know if you replace the cps or cks fix it?

thanks!
bmeck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Bluebimma

Still havent OHMd the coolant temperature sensor nor replaced it? It controls start up fuel mixtures until the O2 takes over, which is start up until operating temperature. Its a very common failure item and since you have an M44 it uses a single temp sensor to calculate the cluster and DME numbers. M42 and OBDI engines use two, separate, coolant sensors for the dme and cluster numbers. If you unplug this sensor on your m44, the engine will never start up, whereas, on an m42, you can swap the two plugs to get the engine running if the dme sensor faults out. Plugging the cluster plug into the DME coolant sensor reads all over the temperature gauge.

Sensor is located on top front of cylinder head, behind radiator hose. This component supplies coolant temperature information to Motronic control unit. The Motronic control unit then determines whether current operating condition is at cold or normal operating temperature. During cold operating conditions, air/fuel mixture is enriched by widening fuel injector pulse width. Extra rich conditions are maintained until normal operating temperature is reached.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5

Last edited by Bluebimma; 02-03-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
KUBI

Angry Ouch !

Well,took some time ... did replace the Cam sensor but did not test in the deadly cold yet.
I needed a battery, done. Starter replaced also...solenoid not engaging all the time. Noticed leak at water pump, replaced. Might as well do the fuel filter and noticed the timing belt had wear so replaced also....add to this all the fluids and time !!! Also had anti rust treatment.

We are getting scr*&&^ed in Canada for parts.. for example, a fuel pump at bavauto is around 70$... in Montreal.. 150 It<s about twice the price for everything, if not more.

I had some cash now back to shoveling my way through town, and then my spot on the street. My girlfriend told me not to come see her tonight because the weather is too bad. What! you bet I ll be over, I have a whole bunch of new parts !!! I<m like new and need to put some miles on the counter !!!

I ll keep you guys posted when we have a really cold day...I went a bit off the thread but will get back on track !
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
m_souders

Update:

The ti started up with no problem today. It's 24 F out with a ten degree wind chill. I haven't replaced any of the parts since the intake boot, and the car hasn't been started in two days.

I can't be sure that it's fixed for good, and I still haven't found a consistent pattern for rough starting. I'll keep you guys posted.

KUBI, I hope the parts installation is going well.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUBI View Post
Well,took some time ... did replace the Cam sensor but did not test in the deadly cold yet.
I needed a battery, done. Starter replaced also...solenoid not engaging all the time. Noticed leak at water pump, replaced. Might as well do the fuel filter and noticed the timing belt had wear so replaced also....add to this all the fluids and time !!! Also had anti rust treatment.

We are getting scr*&&^ed in Canada for parts.. for example, a fuel pump at bavauto is around 70$... in Montreal.. 150 It<s about twice the price for everything, if not more.

I had some cash now back to shoveling my way through town, and then my spot on the street. My girlfriend told me not to come see her tonight because the weather is too bad. What! you bet I ll be over, I have a whole bunch of new parts !!! I<m like new and need to put some miles on the counter !!!

I ll keep you guys posted when we have a really cold day...I went a bit off the thread but will get back on track !
Our cars don't use timing belts, they use a timing chain. I hope you're refering to the serpantine belt(alternator/water pump/power steering belt). I'd be weary if you took your car to a shop and they told you they replaced the timing belt. Also, when your gf tells you not to come over, well that's another thing to be weary of
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
KUBI

Default Update

Parts all ok, not the timing belt right Cooljess my mistake...

Results: Starting and idle is perfect but it hasn't been that cold by our standards here - still...this am was -15 degrees celsius (5 Fahrenheit) and started no problem at all...

My guess is that it's a combination of a few things that helped...factors that added-up. But I think if I went one by one with the parts I would begin by testing/changing the starter and battery...it just seems to have so much more power at startup. The rest was just maintenance at 187K (Kilometers) that also helped in harsh conditions.

Can't wait for Winter to end !!!

Last edited by KUBI; 02-10-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
m_souders

Another update:

I replaced the coolant temp sensor about two weeks ago, but there's no noticeable difference in startup. Poor starts (and good starts) are still pretty random.

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's compression/valves and not spark/fuel. It's possible that the valve lifters won't pump up enough when it's cold, and the valves stick closed or open. Perhaps my oil is too thick for the cold weather? Either way, it doesn't appear to be sensors, but more likely an old head or just oil weight.

I'll be going home this weekend for my spring break, so I'll be changing the oil on the ti to something thinner. I've also got an '83 Dodge Rampage turbo pickup that needs some TLC. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
KUBI

Hi souders,

I'm not too knowlegeable but for the same symptoms my car was perfect since my last post and it's been COLD.. of course I did a lot of part changes. Now the bad news, got sandwiched between a tractor trailer truck and sidewalk, posts, walls, snow banks, etc..., he never saw me and hit me twice while I was trying to escape. Then he went on his way without stopping until I caught him. Five K damage, esthetic only - insurance just confirmed they will repair... unbelievable !
Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #26
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUBI View Post
Then he went on his way without stopping until I caught him.
you're really lucky your car was still in good enough shape to catch him, I had a cousin get his radiator and the whole front of his car smashed by gravel falling off a truck and he had no choice but to pull over while the truck driver just kept going
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #27
ASRACER4

Quote:
I'd be weary if you took your car to a shop and they told you they replaced the timing belt. Also, when your gf tells you not to come over, well that's another thing to be weary of
[/QUOTE]
iwas thinking the same thing
ASRACER4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #28
m_souders

I'm sorry to hear that, KUBI. It's great that you didn't get hurt and that you caught the guy. I'm surprised that your ti survived against a semi. Tough little car!

My issues are getting a little better, since it's warmer. I changed the oil to 5W-30 on Sunday, and put Seafoam in the oil and gas. Next time it doesn't start, I'm taking the valve cover off to find any sticking valves. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #29
bmeck88

hi,
here is the post from other site state "there is a steel part in the lower right side of your engine it has two black pipes connected and a cable on it please clean it.if it doesn't sovle the problem change it because sometimes the inspection computer cant detect if its damaged." What is this part???

Thanks!
bmeck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #30
m_souders

The ti starts up just fine now... I've since changed the oil to 5W-30, Castrol synthetic blend, and the weather has been much warmer. The car starts up near-perfect every time now, but I'm still thinking there's valvetrain issue, maybe the guides or a tired lifter. I've only noticed smoke once, but I couldn't tell from the driver's seat if it was fuel or oil...

bmeck88, a part that fits that description might be the ASC + T throttle body on the intake. Two black rubber "pipes" go to it, there's a throttle cable, electrical plug. But, this is on the lower right quadrant of the engine bay and the part itself is aluminum. Maybe it could look like steel?