318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
Save this ti
06-19-2021 06:59 AM
Last post by b0m
06-19-2021 06:59 AM
0 Replies, 305 Views
Partial Interior Part out
05-23-2021 09:40 PM
Last post by lumitrac
06-17-2021 03:43 PM
14 Replies, 4,570 Views
What sensor does OBD2...
06-12-2021 12:24 AM
Last post by paul somlo
06-12-2021 12:32 AM
1 Replies, 1,333 Views
FS: 1996 slicktop 318ti...
06-02-2021 02:35 AM
Last post by automaton
06-11-2021 03:30 AM
1 Replies, 2,664 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Hawkster

Default Just finished swap, need help! No fuel!

Hey guys, I've got a '97 Ti that I just finished swapping a '98 S52 into last night. Along with the motor, I took the DME (obviously) and EWS box out of the M3 and put it in my car. I also took the chip from the M3 key, and replaced the one in my main Ti key with it.Here's my problem... Engine cranks over just fine, but won't start. I checked for fuel pressure at the rail... but there isn't any. I don't hear the fuel pump turn on either. Fuse for the pump is good. So, my first thought after checking the obvious, was that the EWS was cutting off the fuel pump. So I used a spare key for the Ti, to see if I had any different reaction. The Ti key won't even crank the engine. This has led me to believe that my problem is NOT caused by the EWS. Is there a ground in the engine compartment that I may have missed that is for the fuel pump? I haven't checked to see if I'm getting spark yet (If I am, that completely rules out EWS problems in my head). Anyone have any suggestions?
Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
J!m

Vehicles

Vacuum line to running losses sensor? Wire to same?

I would also suggest having the ECU EWS alignment checked. I think you did it the 'hard' way, and I'm not sure how deeply entrained the EWS module is.

Is the motor from an M3 or an M roadster? If the latter, you need to add the fuel pump relay.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Silver00spike

My ecu matches the ews box, and the ignition lock. You said your's all 3 match also, so ews SHOULD be ok. I wish I could help
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Hawkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
Vacuum line to running losses sensor? Wire to same?

I would also suggest having the ECU EWS alignment checked. I think you did it the 'hard' way, and I'm not sure how deeply entrained the EWS module is.

Is the motor from an M3 or an M roadster? If the latter, you need to add the fuel pump relay.
Where is this running losses sensor? Is it the vaccuum switch looking thing that mounts to the rail?Motor is from an M3, so I guess I should be fine on the Relay issue.I'm headed out to the shop now, so I won't be able to check back... if anyone can answer this question today... please give me a call at 609-672-3073! THANKS!!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
Hawkster

Ok... got the pump to turn on... traced some wires and found out the relay was bad. Prime the pump... won't fire. Check fuel pressure, 8psi at the rail. Figured the Ti pump wasn't putting enough pressure, so we swapped it for the M3 pump. Hmm, now up to 10psi. Found a slight leak, fixed that... 12psi. After some thinking, crimped the return line off at the rail... 90psi! So we messed with the crimpers a little bit, and actually got it damn close to 44psi. Cranked it... fired right up. Let it run for a little bit, turned it off, and took the pliers off, right back to 12psi. I was looking on the rail to find a regulator, and can't seem to find one... where is the regulator on an M3? I don't want to have to drive around with a pair of pliers holding my return line lol.Anyone have any advice here?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
J!m

Vehicles

It sounds like a leak in the return line, but I expect you'd smell gas if it was leaking.

I also think the fuel pump is a demand pump, so as the restriction increases, so does the fuel pressure. I run with the ti fuel pump with no problems so I doubt that did much for you- the pressure increase would be realized if a new ti pump was installed as well I assume.

I'd take a hard look at the fuel return circuit now, from where you applied your pliers back to the tank. Also verify the fuel lines are connected correctly. Backward lines could possibly create the situation you describe, but I'd expect hoses to pop off...

Keep at it- it sounds like you are on the right track!

Old 03-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
snuggz

^^^

What Jim said. Sounds like you've got a return line mixed up somehow, but I'd expect that to cause bigger (at least more visable) problems than just low fuel PSI...

The regulator is under the car near the fuel filter, under that cover thing... there's a testing procedure for it in the Bentley manual, I can relay it here if you don't have one...
snuggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
Hawkster

Thanks for the help so far guys. Well, using Alldata and RealOEM I've come up with a conclusion (although I haven't yet checked the car itself). Seems that Ti's built before 1/97 had the pressure regulator on the rail instead of on the fuel return line. Mine was built in 10/96. The M3 motor was built in 98, so there is no regulator on the rail of that. So my conclusion is that I have no fuel pressure because I have no regulator! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about cars before 1/97 having no under-body regulator... Thanks!!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:26 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i have a 5/96 production date and just replaced all my fuel lines. the only thing i remember being in-line with any of the lines underneath the car is the fuel filter.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Hawkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
i have a 5/96 production date and just replaced all my fuel lines. the only thing i remember being in-line with any of the lines underneath the car is the fuel filter.
Ahhh that's what I was afraid of Well, looks like I'll be swapping the regulator unit over from the M3 body. Does anyone know if this will fit right in? Or will I have to take the fuel lines from the M3 all the way from the tank forward? And if I do... will they fit? I just want my car to run again
Old 03-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
J!m

Vehicles

I don't think the M3 fuel lines will fit from the tank to the regulator, but from the regulator to the rail the hoses fit just fine. I used new M3 fuel hoses in my car.