PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad Noise

Dan Burger
11-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Hey all - it's been a while - hope you're doing well.

Here's my problem: on cold mornings (upper 30's, low-mid 40s), my car makes some really bad noises on start up. At first is sounds like the starter is going to fly out of my engine compartmet(screeching noise), and then I get a loud knocking sound. I had it checked out at last tune up, but nothing irregular was reported. Ideas? Anyone else have this problem? I just had all the fluids changes about 5000 miles ago.

Thanks!
Dan
'95 Club Sport

bimmerbot
11-08-2002, 03:45 AM
Well, I started having a similar problem about two weeks ago, only it's not my ti, it's my truck ('94 Toyota 2WD).

I'm 99% sure that the problem is with the starter, since when the problem first began, it was just that it would take a few cranks to get the engine to turn over. (It's not the battery, I just put a new Diehard in there about 2-3 months ago, and it's got a full charge.) The problem is definitely worse when the temperature is lower. Mid-day, the engine will often turn over without incident. Morning or night, though, it's a different story. (FYI, I'm in Virginia.)

The last few days, when it's been uncooperative, it's really been a bear. When it finally turns over, the engine will shudder and make some unhappy noises, and the check engine light comes on, but this goes away after a minute or so.

I'm no automotive expert, but my theory is that the hesitating starter is screwing with the engine timing, which is causing the knocking coming from my engine. After a few moments, the timing works itself out, and the problem goes away (and my check engine light turns off).

I know that with BMWs, if you start the car, only let it run for a moment (such as to move it from the garage to the driveway), and then turn the engine off again, the next time you start the car it may idle a little rough for a few moments. From what I've read in the past, this is a self-correcting timing issue. (I've experienced it first-hand in my M3.)

Given all of that, I'd go out on a limb and say that you probably need a new starter, and that the engine knocking is sort of a cause-effect thing from the thrown-off timing.

I've finally received the new starter for my truck, so after I replace the starter on Saturday, hopefully the problem will disappear. I'll post the results.

Unfortunately I don't know squat about solenoids, so I don't understand why the cold affects them in that way. (If anyone wants to enlighten me, I'm all ears.) http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/forum/smile.gif

bimmerbot
11-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Had a busy weekend and didn't get the starter in my truck taken care of until yesterday.

Replacing the starter did the trick, no more unpleasant engine noises once it turns over.

Starter sounds a little different. "Lighter" is how I'd describe it. Not sure who made the original one, but the replacement is a Bosch. Way cheaper than the other starters that were available, but I figure that if Bosch components are good enough for my Bimmer, they ought to be okay for my truck. (Of course, I'm assuming that BMW uses Bosch starters. I could be wrong.)

Dan Burger
11-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the follow up. My car went into the shop (got rear-ended), but after I clear the check from the insurance co. I'll be doing some maintenance - I figure it was the starter, but now I feel a bit more confident replaceing it. How much did you pay for it and where did you get it?

Cheers,
Dan

------------------
Dan B.
'95 Club Sport

bimmerbot
11-14-2002, 06:22 PM
I got mine from www.expressautoparts.com. (http://www.expressautoparts.com.) I only paid about $90 for mine, plus a $75 refundable core charge.

However, I just looked there for the ti starter, and it says their price is $269.61 plus $75 core charge. However, I think their price is screwed up, because it shows the list price as $190. If you get it from them, I'd call about the price first.

Nupe03
02-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Yes my car has just started to make that same noise and I just put it into the shop I have a 96ti and I have had it for less then 8 months and I have had some small problems with the car like the gas and temp gages are acting a little screwy and I think it is do to the winter time around here in Indiana but I plan to see what is going on with the noise right now. I will let you know what the issue is when I get some more feed back from the shop mech.

Nupe03
02-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I found out what was wrong with my engine and what was making all the noise and what it was, one of my spark pluge had explode and it was rattaling in the engine so I had all of them changed out and the car is running fine now and a whole lot better.