PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Troubles

DarkenDioxen
03-25-2003, 06:15 PM
I'm getting a low speed vibration/noise when turning the wheel. Similar to when you are running low on Power Steering fluid(different car). When I checked the Reservoir it is filled right up. Secondly the fluid itself looks less then healthy kind of a murky brown. When I have filled it up I used valvoline ATF fluid.

Has anyone else run across this? Anything I should check?

1996 328ti
03-26-2003, 02:37 AM
MY steering was making some noise when turning. I checked the fluid and it wasn't touching the dipstick. I added some fluid. Then I added too much. I sucked som eout and it was too preety murky and brown. I also have a very slight steering hose leak.

fourbanger
03-26-2003, 07:35 AM
I too had that problem.. but i did have a low level of fluid and it resolved it. however, i too have a minor leak and the color of the fluid is just nasty.

is there any way for me to drain it myself and refill it?

DarkenDioxen
03-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Nice to know I'm not alone.

The first time it happened I added fluid and it went away. This time the fluid really looks to be right up pretty close to the mid way point on the stick. I didn't want to overfill and make more of a mess.

It's really annoying me now, parking is an embarrassment! I'm going to check in some of the other forums and see what people say. I assume th steering system is the same on all e36's.

J!m
03-26-2003, 06:03 PM
You can remove the low pressure hose from the rack side. This will allow you to get most of the flid out.

(the low pressure hose is held to the resivoir with a clamp,at the bottom)

If it's REALLY nasty, I'd re-fill it, drive a few days and drain it again.

That should clean it up.

DarkenDioxen
03-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Looks like lots of e36's have this problem. Comes down to two things a new rack (yuck) or the first thing that I'm going to try. Cruddy hose clamps, it was suggested to replace with stainless then the problem won't occur again for awhile.

I guess if you need a rack it is evident by pitting under the dust boots on the wheel causing the leak at that end. Mine is up by the bowl, do I'm going to get some good clamps and seeif that fixes it. Too easy? Probebly!

Also everone complaned about the murky fluid. I wonder why that happens?

1996 328ti
03-27-2003, 03:09 AM
Steering racks are different between E36s. I know some people used a Z3 rack because it had a tighter turning radius. Not sure which Z3 though.