318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   shocks (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5488)

myblueTI 05-09-2005 09:25 PM

shocks

i was wondering if i have sport springs and i want to buy new shocks do i have to buy the sport shocks because i have the sport springs

aceyx 05-09-2005 10:40 PM

if you have a sport package, you have the sport suspension (springs and shocks).

run a search; you'll find how to identify what model you have has been discussed innumerable times.

gooten1 05-10-2005 12:57 AM

I replaced my shocks first with some lowering springs from BavAuto, then put about 5k miles on them. Lowering/sport springs will wear out your shocks faster than regualar. I then put some Bilsteins that were sport shocks to match the spring rate. It would be easier to do the swap of springs and shocks at the same time.

myblueTI 05-11-2005 03:17 AM

ya i bought the bav auto sport springs and i am thinking that it would make more sense to replace the shocks as well since they are a couple years old and prolly in ok shape but i dont want to have to do the hole thing over when the shocks go out
thanks for the info

Quote:

Originally Posted by gooten1
I replaced my shocks first with some lowering springs from BavAuto, then put about 5k miles on them. Lowering/sport springs will wear out your shocks faster than regualar. I then put some Bilsteins that were sport shocks to match the spring rate. It would be easier to do the swap of springs and shocks at the same time.

myblueTI 05-27-2005 03:09 AM

what brand of shocks would the best be to buy i was thinking bilstien but i dont know for sure??? :confused:

m-technik_ti 05-27-2005 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myblueTI
what brand of shocks would the best be to buy i was thinking bilstien but i dont know for sure??? :confused:

Bilstein sport shocks are a great product for the money. Ride quality/handling is greatly improved when coupled with lowering springs.

H3_2.1-ti 05-27-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

I agree with m-technik ti. Bilstein shocks are excellent, although they are not manually adjustable like Konis, they in my opinion have a better build quality. The performance is unmatched. They are perfect for lowering springs. Definitely worth buying. I got mine from Vitesse Tuning. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

myblueTI 06-01-2005 04:08 AM

Ok them i am going with bilstien but i was wondering if i am replacing the springs and shocks do i need to get camber plates also? :2gun:

m-technik_ti 06-01-2005 05:02 AM

Quote:

Ok them i am going with bilstien but i was wondering if i am replacing the springs and shocks do i need to get camber plates also? :2gun:

Bav auto sport springs lower your bmw approx. 1 1/4'' , plus with new Bilstein shocks installed, your ride height may be raised a bit, so you don’t necessarily need to purchase camber plates. Just make sure you rotate your tires regularly to avoid the wear effects of negative camber, which would be minimal in your case (I'm running a 2.5" drop with no camber plates!).

Platanos 07-06-2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m-technik_ti
Bav auto sport springs lower your bmw approx. 1 1/4'' , plus with new Bilstein shocks installed, your ride height may be raised a bit, so you don’t necessarily need to purchase camber plates. Just make sure you rotate your tires regularly to avoid the wear effects of negative camber, which would be minimal in your case (I'm running a 2.5" drop with no camber plates!).

I just bought some H&R race springs, I know I'm gonna need some new shocks, but what the heck is a chamber plate? Do I need one? I think I'm getting myself into trouble trying to do all this stuff myself, cause I don't know chit. Help!! I know the springs will gimme a 2.5" drop in the front and a 1.2" in the back. I have 18"s on. Is this gonna be a problem?

nick_hegel 07-06-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platanos
I just bought some H&R race springs, I know I'm gonna need some new shocks, but what the heck is a chamber plate? Do I need one? I think I'm getting myself into trouble trying to do all this stuff myself, cause I don't know chit. Help!! I know the springs will gimme a 2.5" drop in the front and a 1.2" in the back. I have 18"s on. Is this gonna be a problem?

I could be wrong, but you may end up with uneven wear on the tires. This is the problem I had, but it was also due to misalignment of the suspension. You can find a front and rear camber kit on bavauto.com. Thats where I got mine.