318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   youth or experience? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35953)

joe1602 04-10-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teen ti (Post 326639)
If anyone is interested we'll be running this competition at Watkins Glen International with the GVC-BMWCCA and the Niagra PCA on June 26/27. While we might have the bet going my goal for the day is to beat at least a few old guys having their midlife crisis in a jumped up VW Beetle (Porsches). I'll admit that i don't have nearly the same skills as my father but I'm not just another teenage kid in a nice car. I've had my fair share of performance driving and can generally keep up with guys running 300HP Mustangs at the track with my 325ci just because of my ability to corner better.

As much as I may not want to give him credit, this is the truth, he does know how to drive a car, maybe not as well as he thinks but he's not without his talent. My wife's sister is married to Bret Seafuse, who's father and him own JBS Motorports and run in the GS Class of the Continental Tire Challenge Series (formerly the Koni Challenge Series) in their Mustang FR500C and Boss 302R. Matteo (my son) has worked quite a bit with Bret and his dad to improve his driving skills and it definitely shows.

teen ti 04-11-2012 03:48 AM

actually giving me some credit dad? so maybe you'll let me supercharge the mustang now:dribble:

GrandpaTuner 04-11-2012 05:59 AM

You both win!....spending time together father/son (especially racing) is "priceless".

NOW BURY THE FLATBELLY DAD!

wolferj-RIP 04-11-2012 06:05 AM

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance... :)

But seriously, ^^^ "Grandpa Tuner" has it right. Doesn't matter in the end, you get to play together with big boy toys! Everybody wins!

BlackBMWs 04-11-2012 07:09 AM

+1 :cool:

Platanos 04-11-2012 09:53 AM

This is a great bet. I hope to do something like this with my kids. Actually, my daughter goes for her driving road test today.

You know who I'm rooting for!!!

cooljess76 04-11-2012 01:03 PM

+46 hp to push 450 extra lbs of generic/less-nimble car is not enough to beat the ti around an auto-x course. Dad has a double advantage IMO, not to mention the ti beats the e46 in looks alone.

joe1602 04-11-2012 03:07 PM

I definitely agree that spending time together is a great thing but beating each other is definitely a secondary goal. Beating some Porsches on the other hand, thats the main goal for this particular event. We both share quite the distaste for Porsches.

teen ti 04-11-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1602 (Post 326719)
I definitely agree that spending time together is a great thing but beating each other is definitely a secondary goal. Beating some Porsches on the other hand, thats the main goal for this particular event. We both share quite the distaste for Porsches.

for sure, to hell with all the jumped up beetles

bullmand 04-11-2012 04:10 PM

My money's on the ti as well. A well driven ti, especially on a tight course, can easily best cars that are much newer and faster on paper.

joe1602 04-11-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullmand (Post 326724)
My money's on the ti as well. A well driven ti, especially on a tight course, can easily best cars that are much newer and faster on paper.

Agreed.

Still feeling confident about your chances Matteo?

anassa 04-11-2012 11:41 PM

so whens the match?? I got my bet on the young and rash son who is not completely inexperienced and maybe some of that rashness will work in his advantage! (hey someone has to support the young and reckless lol)

teen ti 04-12-2012 12:12 AM

The autocross is June 17th I believe, and its nice to get some support every once and a while

mike156 04-13-2012 12:24 AM

As far as the car side goes, I took my ti out to it's first autocross a couple weeks ago, I have to say I'm surprised how well it does. It is completely stock on suspension and engine mods, but has a bunch of weight pulled out of it (EVO seats, airbags, A/C, cruise, rear interior) and has some RS-3s on 17x85. Kosei K4Rs. I've also owned a 2002 325is with coilovers, swaybars, and bushings on good summer tires.

As surprised as I am to say this, I think the ti could out do it pretty easily. It's geared low enough to work well on auto-x courses and the weight makes a huge difference.

But...
I also have a heavily built EVO 8 that should be able to take FTD often and I get beat by cars with FAR LESS done to them simply because they are a better driver then I. I would say I'm a "good driver" relative to the average with ~10 years of experience, but compared to guys that have been doing it for 30 years and have mastered their skills, I'm probably terrible.

It doesn't matter which car is better here unless the times are very close, the better driver is going to win. Now being more experienced doesn't make you a better driver if your experience has been 20 years of doing it wrong...

POCti 04-13-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolferj (Post 326700)
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance... :)

But seriously, ^^^ "Grandpa Tuner" has it right. Doesn't matter in the end, you get to play together with big boy toys! Everybody wins!

I agree with both these points as of right now i wish i had more time with my dad before i ship out. Also, I have first hand experience with the old age and treachery thing in alot of little competitions with my dad .... Teen Ti WATCH BOTH YOUR CARS LIKE A HAWK for a week before going out LOL.