318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Read: Oil Filter and Auto Stores (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29697)

Maverix 03-06-2010 03:45 AM

Read: Oil Filter and Auto Stores

Not sure if anyone noticed, but auto stores like Advanced Auto, and Auto Zone have a special offer where you buy 5 quarts of fully synthetic oil and a filter for anywhere from $25-$35. But our filters usually doesn't get included because either the special offer covers another brand, or the filter is price above the promotional price limit mark.

I found out today the best way to override it is by buying the 5 quarts, and the most expensive filter the offer covers. Does not matter what car it's for, just as long as the special promotion covers it. Then go back the next day and "return it without a receipt" and trade it for the filter that fits the ti. If your bring it back with the receipt, you get the promotional price back. But if you tell them that you don't have the receipt, they will give you the store shelf price. You probably might have to pay $1-3 more, but it's still a great deal and a good way to work around it.

Hope that made sense.

Xenocide 03-06-2010 03:46 AM

I hope you get hit by a bus.

tiFreak 03-06-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenocide (Post 262648)

:eek: :lol:

Maverix 03-06-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenocide (Post 262648)

Looks like you already have. :biggrin:

lysergicsurfer 03-06-2010 04:08 AM

Haha, its ok xeno, Im sure at some point in your life you have tried to use a "buy one get one free" deal and buy for say, a 10$ item, and try and get a 20$ item for free. Hoping the employee wont notice.... ha, but obviously it wont work, and so you say, "oh I didn't notice"...

Mav, if the employee is not an a-hole he should save you all that work... If the deal is for 5 quarts, and up to a 5$ filter, they will be able to take 5$ off the filter you need. You may have to ask, but this is what they always have to do for me, whenever the mobil oils are the special for that month. Ask if they will before you purchase, if not go to another store. A few employees who recognize me will just throw it in for free anyway, maybe if they are nice may do the same to you.

OH yea, people buy things when they are on sale, and try and return them for the full price at another time, and keep the difference. Big stores and major chains will ask for you name and phone number, maybe license number. They record how many times you try this, and for say twice in six months, you get black listed. So next time you try this you may be stuck with a 5$ Ford Taurus oil filter.

Maverix 03-06-2010 04:14 AM

Hmmm didn't know that. I already went to advanced auto, and the guys who knew me wouldn't do it. So I went to AutoZone, and one of the employees told me this idea. I ended up paying $1.08 more after everything was through. He also told me that you could take it to another auto store, and return the filter there.

But yea, it does make sense as to why it's unethical.

Recon427 03-06-2010 04:19 AM

Well, I guess you could try scamming them like that....but what about ethics?

I wouldn't do that to my Advanced Auto Parts store. They have been extremely valuable in things I needed for the car or diagnosing some issues.

Their prices are through the roof compared to autohausaz.com but excellent group of guys all the same. At least in Downers Grove, IL they are.

CirrusSR22 03-06-2010 06:07 AM

I always just get filters for family and friend's non-german cars when I buy my oil. I trust the Mahle and Mann filters more than the cheaper quality (often times) filters in Fram or whatever boxes.

L84THSKY 03-06-2010 07:01 PM

I just went to Pep Boys the other day for 5 quarts of Mobil1 0-40 oil. She said the same thing. If I buy the 5 qrts, it's $37.00. If I buy 5 qrts with a filter, it's $29.95. They wanted $11.00 for the filter for our car, and it wasn't a Mobil filter, so it didn't count. I said to just punch in a code for any Mobil 1 filter, and don't bother giving me one. I ended up paying the $29.95 for the oil.

Dave_PA 03-08-2010 08:08 PM

go to autohausaz.com and get a few mahale or mann filters. they are better filters than the 'expensive' ones at pep boys/autozone.

if the oil i'm buying has that promotion, i give the filters to my parents.
-Dave