318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Air Filters/Intakes (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cold air intake for new owner (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34280)

mreroc 09-09-2011 08:06 AM

cold air intake for new owner

Looking to increase hp in all minor ways possible. Been reading through all the cold air intake threads on the board. This is going to be my first work under the hood. I know how to use tools and read directions, just never got involved in auto-mechanics (to my dismay for the $ spent at the shop). I just bought my TI and plan on learning on it. Just looking for some experienced advice on best and most productive method. I've read from the fogging to cosmo to KN. Was leaning towards fogging, and was looking at the following method that I found on a thread: http://mz3.net/1-9-fogged-airbox-modification.html

Has anyone done that method on a 318ti; mine is a 96 and sounds like it is doable. I live in the desert if that makes a difference, but may move to northwest. Or, any suggestions on a different method. Lastly, if you have other hp recommendations that are somewhat simple/cheaper (not doing the DASC yet), please let me know. I think I will do the Dinan chip as well. I know there are a lot of intake threads, if you have comments but don't want to keep this thread alive, please PM. Thanks...until my next question.

trikzta 09-09-2011 09:59 AM

i have a fogged intake not much of a difference but is a cheap way to get cold air to the engine, but if you plan on lowering your car i would get a ram intake is much cheaper than a cold air but you can also do a few mods in order for it to get cold air, im having issues with my fogged intake since my car is very low when it rains it collects water so if i drive in the rain there is a slight possibility of hydro locking the engine

slow_ti 09-09-2011 02:09 PM

What's your suspension set up?^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vsonix 09-09-2011 02:41 PM

I'm looking at getting a PiperCross Viper kit, at the moment these seem to have the best rep as far as CAI kits go, this one seems to be the best compromise between an airbox and cone/short ram system, also seems to be the easiest to swap between the cold air feed from a brake duct for summer use and then just the airbox for winter/wet weather use

mreroc 09-09-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I have the base/stock setup with the suspension. I would definitely not lower the car since I do a lot of Forest Service road driving. If anything I would lift it a bit more, but won't. Probably need to install a shield underneath...but that'll be a different topic one day.

urbanmisfit 09-09-2011 08:36 PM

A lot of Miata guys pull from the base of the windshield; it's a high pressure area on their cars but I don't know if a Ti has that as well; should have
There is a thread somewhere about a DIY cold air box.
Be careful with oil impregnated filters; you could end up contaminating your MAS. People clean them with alcohol but I don't know if it works. I think AEM makes a washable dry cone.
I haven't seen a thread about intake manifold isolation (prevents manifold heat soak) here but it's an easy DIY. I use 1/4 in bakelite (sp?)
You can fab up your own intake from tube and elbows available anywhere but the Ti silicone TB elbow is $100!
Wrap the intake with header wrap when it's done...
Other forums have tons of info as well; the Mazda 1.8 DOHC cam guys run 2 exhaust cams; just cut the cam angle drive off and slot the gear...60* IRC. That is a proven 8-10 HP
There's a lot more to this than just an intake. The intake may provide the air volume but the cams have to manage it and the exhaust has to get rid of it. All engine builds are hard to accomplish; FI is a lot easier!

mreroc 09-09-2011 10:01 PM

Thanks for the info UM. Since I've done nothing beyond batteries and oil, I having a little bit of a hard time grasping. But, the 10hp popped out and I WANT that and I want to do it myself. Could you point me to where the info to do that mod is, or lay it out for me a little. I don't want to take up your time or anything, but from what I gather in your post I can get 10hp on the cheap with a little work. Sounds great to me. Thanks for any help you can throw my way. Not sure why I can't find the private message option; I figured I wouldn't clog the board. But since I can't, if anyone else has anything I am all ears. -Eric

trikzta 09-09-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow_ti (Post 308693)
What's your suspension set up?^

nothing special just rokkors up front bilstein in the back almost slammed and could go way lower

cooljess76 09-09-2011 11:36 PM

I highly doubt you'll get 10hp. Heck I don't think you'll even see 5. People do stuff like this to there cars and then make all sorts of ridiculous claims like "it made a HUGE improvement" or "the throttle is SOOO much more responsive". I call BS to all of that. It's been tried and done before with these engines and the only results were a difference in sound and decreased fuel economy. I'm sure the fuel economy drops because kids drive harder to hear the intake suck air like it's some sort of supercharger or blowoff valve, lol. In the end, it's just a 140hp 4 banger. No more, no less. These engines are already tapped out on performance. A chip, exhaust and intake combined may net you a total of 10hp gain max. Unless you slap a supercharger or turbo on the M42/M44, bore it out to a higher displacement or do an engine swap, you're not going to get any significant or even noticeable gains. The only things to expect from a CAI would be risk of destroying your motor due to hydrolock (I've personally known 3 people with 318ti's that have done it, not including several other people on this forum alone), devaluing your car (personally when I'm looking at a car, if I see a CAI, I laugh and walk away because the owner is an obvious ricer and probably drove the car like an idiot), a 2-3hp gain max and an annoying sucking sound. Big whoop:rolleyes:

I'd rather spend the time/money on mainenance items and things that will actually make a difference. Suspension, bushings, brakes, TIRES and MOST IMPORTANTLY replace the cooling system as this is the weakest link and most common cause of blown headgaskets on these cars.

Sorry to be a nay sayer, but someone had to do it. It's your car though, if you think you could get 10hp out of a CAI, by all means go ahead and try it. I'll tell you what, if you could show me before and after dyno'd proof that an intake gave you 10hp on this car, I'll take you out for pancakes:cool:

mreroc 09-09-2011 11:42 PM

Thanks for the info Jess, good to know. Roof racks tonight, chip and another inspection next week, and then probably sit pat then for a bit if the intake doesn't yield that much. Foglights and new tires after that and I'm set for awhile. On the cooling system; you referring to the 2 plastic pieces or replace the whole thing top to bottom? Thanks again to all the responses.

cooljess76 09-09-2011 11:53 PM

The entire cooling system could be replaced for about 400 bucks if you DIY. Just make sure you bleed it properly afterwards.

mreroc 09-09-2011 11:55 PM

Nice, I'll look into it.

urbanmisfit 09-10-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreroc (Post 308726)
Thanks for the info UM. Since I've done nothing beyond batteries and oil, I having a little bit of a hard time grasping. But, the 10hp popped out and I WANT that and I want to do it myself. Could you point me to where the info to do that mod is, or lay it out for me a little. I don't want to take up your time or anything, but from what I gather in your post I can get 10hp on the cheap with a little work. Sounds great to me. Thanks for any help you can throw my way. Not sure why I can't find the private message option; I figured I wouldn't clog the board. But since I can't, if anyone else has anything I am all ears. -Eric

You won't get an extra 10 hp unless you want to get into the engine; cam timing, cam swap, etc. and even that has to be supported by the intake and exhaust. Article on cam timing:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21403
There are other articles as well.
A CAI is useless unless it actually delivers more and cooler air to the intake manifold; that's why I suggest a box and insulated piping but even then I wouldn't guarantee 2 HP unless you upgrade the exhaust as well.
If you get to Havasu City chat with the guys who build the Toyota engines; it'll be very interesting for you. I'll look for the cold air box link

tiFreak 09-10-2011 01:49 AM

I'd go with a fogg, if you can find one I'd also recommend swapping the air box with one from a 95 318ti, it takes the air from behind the drivers headlight instead of taking it from behind the passenger headlight and pulling it over the radiator

slow_ti 09-10-2011 02:11 AM

This one looks promising actually.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...item1c1ec5996a