318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 28,589 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,464,250 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 470,065 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Ken

Default Depo lights, and all that stuff

Alright, can someone explain to me the technical difference between some of the 'sets' that habbie is selling on bimmerforums?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...postcount=2491

That post lists a bunch of different stuff, with prices ranging all the way from 200's to 543.

I'd like a new set of lights, I hate the yellowish I have now, but there's a pretty big difference between spending 20 and 500

Also, this might be a stupid question, but is it possible to connect the lights to where any time your fogs are on the angel eyes come on? Maybe that's how it is by default or something, I don't know.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
DocDuvi

Just get the apexcone projectors and you will be happy cheap and they are the same as depos the more expensive ones supposedly have better cutoffs and light better but i think its not worth it
DocDuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
CirrusSR22

I'd look into the Apexcones from understeer.com as Doc metioned. Rediculously cheap at $115 per pair. Sure they're not real ZKWs or Boschs, but people are still giving them good reviews. The general concensus is that even Depos or Apexcones with a HID kit is a MASSIVE improvement over the stock USA halogen lights. HID kits on eBay are super cheap too. You're taking a bit of a risk not buying from a "real" vendor, but people have been having good luck with the cheapo eBay HID kits.

Habbie had so many options that it's hard to give a good answer. Basically gotta figure out what options you want. Plug and Play harness? Angel Eyes? Stonegard, etc.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
StealthBimmer

Go to ddmtuning or understeer for your BMW aftermarket accessories.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Marv17

i went with understeer.com. Its easy, you just pick the set of headlights you want and the halos/angel eyes come installed for you. so all the difficult work is done. even if you get the HID kits its already preassembled. just plug and play. work the money i think cuz it saves a headache. thats my .02 cents

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Ken

So I mean, what's the real difference between the apexcone and the depos aside from being a 'brand name' and the lifetime warranty?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
BobbyDigital

Well, I have Depos, and I think they are kinda cheap. I'm not familiar with the Apexcones, but I'm about to buy them to replace the Depos.
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Ken

Anyone have any good pictures of the Apexcones on their car?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
Ken

Can anyone here vouch for ddmtuning as a reputable place? I just don't understand why it's so cheap compared to someone like habbie (or even understeer)

In this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ight=ddmtuning

that habbie guy essentially says that he's selling chinese replicas or something.. I know a lot of people are happy with what they bought from habbie.. has anyone here bought stuff from ddmtuning?

If people can vouch, then it's definitely worth the price.

The only question I really have is what's the difference between the Apexcone HID and DDM HID besides brand?

If I go with the package deal, it's nearly $100 cheaper, but I have to get the DDM HID's with the package:

Deluxe DEPO Headlight Package #3 includes: DEPO "Gen-4" Headlights, DDM HID, Chromium Angel Eyes and Lamin-X $270.00!
Deluxe Apexcone Headlight Package #3 includes: Apexcone Headlights, DDM HID, Chromium Angel Eyes and Lamin-X $270.00!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
bimmer95

DDM is Apexcone's retail site. Apexcone imports huge quantities of headlights direct from Depo via cargo ship, so their costs are much lower than other vendors which air freight their headlights over. The whole "fake Depo" claim is simply nonsense, you can call Depo yourself and ask them if Apexcone is an authorized dealer for them. I can match any of DDM's package deals, if you'd rather deal with me.

As far as Apexcone versus Depo ellipsoids, Apexcone went with Depo's basic design and switched to a less fragile, stronger plastic and fixed Depo's wiring issues. As anyone that's hooked up Depos to a US car knows, their pin arrangements are plug-n-pray. The Apexcone ellipsoid's pin positions are identical to ZKW's, ground at 12 o'clock, city light at 3 o'clock, low at 6 o'clock and high at 9 o'clock. The Depo ellipsoid's projector assembly does appear to be a little nicer though, which is a competely moot point for those planing TSX or similar retrofits.

http://www.understeer.com
bimmer95 is offline   Reply With Quote