318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 531 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,076 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Actin

Default Stereo ejecting through rear window when acceleratiing..?

That got your attention lol....I recently fitted a new stereo and had to remove the rectangular frame supplied with it [which is supposed to hold it in place] to make it fit...

As a result of this I have a nice new system working but its somewhat loose...

What are my options with regard to securing this in place?

Thanks

A/'
Actin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
blndweasel

Hmmm... that rectangular frame you're talking about is the DIN mounting sleeve, and it's sole purpose is to hold the deck in place against the heater control panel. Also, the small grey plastic locating pin normally attached to the back of the stock deck, usually won't fit on standard DIN aftermarket units due to it's size, but can be retrofitted if you re-drill and tap the back of the aftermarket deck (assuming there's enough material to do this).

You really should be able to install the deck WITH the DIN mounting sleeve... and be sure to push the small retainer tabs in place firmly. Were you having trouble getting the deck to slide in with the wiring harness in the way or something?

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Actin

Yes I was having trouble with the wiring harness as I had to fit the bmw adapter which utilised even more space....

Very good info there bud I'll see what I can do with this DIN sleeve and see how I get on..
Actin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
ATF

Ask the manufacturer/retailer about it. If Crutchfield carries it, you might shoot them an e-mail, maybe theyll give you a hint.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
blndweasel

Also, did you remove the glove compartment when you installed the stereo? I found this extremely helpful for gaining access to the antenna adapter, and being able to tug it towards the back of the radio relief to assist in installation.

Sorry I didn't mention this before. You can even set up a small pull-string and route it out the back passenger side behind the radio, tie it to the wiring harness, and give it a pull as your sliding the head unit in (wow, that sounds really wrong).

good luck

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
robcarync

i always had a hard time reinstalling my head unit anytime i took it out (to run ipod adapters and other miscellaneous wires)

it just seemed that the wiring had no place to go and it wouldnt fit back there...especially with the adapter in there

my only solution was that i purchased a new head unit and got it installed at best buy and let them fiddle with it...but it worked out...

sorry not much useful information from my thread, but the same thing kinda happened to me too
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Phil Marx

I found the wiring harness and Crutchfield adapter fit if I shoved it up into a cavity just to the right of the instrument panel (to the left of the radio itself). Maybe that will help.
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote