318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
Wanted: 318ti automatic...
01-17-2024 09:34 PM
Last post by macilona
Yesterday 03:10 AM
3 Replies, 816,898 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
marko

Getting caught out there without a spare tire SUCKS! (from experience)
I will NEVER be caught without one again...
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardoMcWeirdo View Post
Has anybody removed this cover and if so have you plugged the hole as well?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=71&fg=05

I took part #22 in this diagram and covered the hole in a couple layers of electrical tape, then put it back in place
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Pennyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Getting caught out there without a spare tire SUCKS! (from experience)
I will NEVER be caught without one again...
Buy a set of run flat tires.
I took mine off because I have heavy sound system installed, so I need to reduce some weight to balance it.
I carry an aerosol can that helps inflat the tires, its really work well.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyfan View Post
Buy a set of run flat tires.
I took mine off because I have heavy sound system installed, so I need to reduce some weight to balance it.
I carry an aerosol can that helps inflat the tires, its really work well.
Does fix a flat work well against holes on the wall of the tire?
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverix View Post
Does fix a flat work well against holes on the wall of the tire?
I've used the fix a flat stuff before and it worked for small punctures. As for sidewall damage, the tire should be replaced immediately. The problem with "fix a flat" is that it's messy, temporary and will throw your wheels off balance if you don'tremove the tire and clean it out afterwards. The "slime" brand stuff is wortless, usually doesn't work and again, it'll throw your balance off. I used to manage a bike shop and I've tested them all. The only product that I would recommend is called "Stan's". It's a liquid that has a milk-like texture. This stuff seals holes up to 1/4". I had a friend who was racing downhill MTB when a tree branch punctured the sidewall on his front tire. The stan's sealed it up instantly, he broke the branch off so it would clear his forks and finished the race! The guy who invented it, Stan, shows up to the races and does demonstrations for his product. H pours 1/4 cup in a MTB tire, seats it on a rim and inflates it. Then he spins it, stabs it about 20 times with a big ass screwdriver and the thing doesn't go flat! I've been using it for about 6 years now and haven't had a flat since. It stays in your tire and maintains it's milk-like consistancy. And for those wondering, yes I've used it in my car tires. Normally I use a tire plug kit to repair punctures from nails, screws, staples etc. When I had the OZ superleggeras on my car, one of them had a slow leak. I couldn't figure out where it was, so I removed the valve core, poured about 1/2 cup of stan's through the valve stem, replaced the core, aired it up and the tire never went flat again. Here's a link, great product for cyclists, offroaders or people who just don't want to deal with flats ever again:
http://www.notubes.com/product_info....products_id/44

BTW, all of my bicycles run tubeless tires/rims.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
briansol

run flats are HORRIBLE. you'll lose FAR more performance than you will gain by losing the weight.

The m doesn't even come with a spare... it comes with the "M Mobility kit", which is basically fix-a-flat slime and an aircompressor.

most guys pick up a 330ci wheel for a spare. i need to do the same.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #22
Maverix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I've used the fix a flat stuff before and it worked for small punctures. As for sidewall damage, the tire should be replaced immediately. The problem with "fix a flat" is that it's messy, temporary and will throw your wheels off balance if you don'tremove the tire and clean it out afterwards. The "slime" brand stuff is wortless, usually doesn't work and again, it'll throw your balance off. I used to manage a bike shop and I've tested them all. The only product that I would recommend is called "Stan's". It's a liquid that has a milk-like texture. This stuff seals holes up to 1/4". I had a friend who was racing downhill MTB when a tree branch punctured the sidewall on his front tire. The stan's sealed it up instantly, he broke the branch off so it would clear his forks and finished the race! The guy who invented it, Stan, shows up to the races and does demonstrations for his product. H pours 1/4 cup in a MTB tire, seats it on a rim and inflates it. Then he spins it, stabs it about 20 times with a big ass screwdriver and the thing doesn't go flat! I've been using it for about 6 years now and haven't had a flat since. It stays in your tire and maintains it's milk-like consistancy. And for those wondering, yes I've used it in my car tires. Normally I use a tire plug kit to repair punctures from nails, screws, staples etc. When I had the OZ superleggeras on my car, one of them had a slow leak. I couldn't figure out where it was, so I removed the valve core, poured about 1/2 cup of stan's through the valve stem, replaced the core, aired it up and the tire never went flat again. Here's a link, great product for cyclists, offroaders or people who just don't want to deal with flats ever again:
http://www.notubes.com/product_info....products_id/44

BTW, all of my bicycles run tubeless tires/rims.
Ah wonderful! Thank you! So it should roughly cost me $40 for the sealer, injector, and shipping. I'm pretty sure the gas I will save in the long run will make up for it.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote