318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 816 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,347 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #106
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
The motors have nothing to do with it.. The problem is that people come on here and think that they can do a DIY turbo for less than 1000$... I think the cheap nature of these cars, combined with people not wanting to spend more than the car is worth is what causes most of the DIY projects to fail. Not the engines...

There are plenty of examples of very well running M42 turbo engines. I've posted links to one putting down well in excess of 250 rwhp several times..
theres a member on here xxxjohnyxxx running 16 psi on stock internals with 175000 with no problems now he has a mm motor ....u can search you tube there's some video of his car i have seen e 30 m 42 putting down over 500 whp...
blowin 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #107
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboready View Post
So I guess soon you will tell me when to eat, sleep and drink, since when you were you so much in control of my life mate?
Where did I indicate that I was doing this only and had everything for it?

If the wait is too long for you go to sleep and we will give you a buzz when its done, all you have to do is think of it as another tried and failed project for now LOL
Not really telling you anything...
Simply stating that back in Sep 08' you began this thread... 7 months later you're still telling us you're building the engine. I don't know how you operate, but when I get into a project I attack it and get it done ASAP... not just do a little thing here, leave it for a month, then do a little thing there... I guess that's just me!...
In any case we have all been waiting on your BUILD to come through, so that those of us that want to go Turbo have a guide to follow!... or you would simply get some business out of us having you build some kits...
Just a thought...
Hopefully it wont be a year from now for you to actually have everything installed and working!

We are all routing for your project to succeed, cause there have been so many FAILED attempts...

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #108
John318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboready View Post
John, its not going to fail, I never start a project and not finish it, I am doing this for a good friend of mine and that makes it even more critical. Honestly speaking, I don't have much redesigning to do, we had an e30 with the same m42 boosted and running very strong so this will be better because all the ground work was already done.
That is what I like to hear!! I'm giving you nothing but support and encouragement so please don't take it any other way!! I just wanna see this bad boy!
John318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #109
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Not really telling you anything...
Simply stating that back in Sep 08' you began this thread... 7 months later you're still telling us you're building the engine. I don't know how you operate, but when I get into a project I attack it and get it done ASAP... not just do a little thing here, leave it for a month, then do a little thing there... I guess that's just me!...
In any case we have all been waiting on your BUILD to come through, so that those of us that want to go Turbo have a guide to follow!... or you would simply get some business out of us having you build some kits...
Just a thought...
Hopefully it wont be a year from now for you to actually have everything installed and working!

We are all routing for your project to succeed, cause there have been so many FAILED attempts...
Yoda, I am not sure where you got the impression I was building an engine 7 months ago, if you go back to the beginning of my thread you will see I did not even have an engine as yet.

We bought a parts car and pulled out the engine and gearbox in November, tore it down and started ordering parts and accessories.

You cannot look at all the failed attempts and allow it to interfere with my and my project and progress, that is purely stereotypical of you.

If you gave it thought, you should realize that the others failed for some reason or the other and I am taking my time to do this right and professionally. I do not rush projects like this, it takes time to do something right especially when its a totally custom job like this.

Downshift a gear or two and be patient, this will be a success done at its best

We cleaned and polished the pistons, installed new rings (BMW OEM very expensive) installed new bearings and have the block assembled.
Just look at the reflection on the cardboard from the polished piston compared to the one which was only cleaned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Pistons with mirror finish.jpg Views:	119 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	7838   Click image for larger version Name:	Pistons with mirror finish2.jpg Views:	119 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	7839  
Turboready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #110
Turboready

More
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Assembled Block.jpg Views:	114 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	7840   Click image for larger version Name:	Assembled Block2.jpg Views:	118 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	7841  
Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #111
Turboready

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Assembled Block3.jpg Views:	103 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	7844   Click image for larger version Name:	Assembled Block4.jpg Views:	117 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	7845  
Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #112
tiFreak

Vehicles

it's starting to look like an engine

I wouldn't take Yoda's comments too personally, we all want this project to succeed, we just want it NOW
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #113
Jean H.318TI

i want a turbo engine too, how much would u charge for a turbo kit for the m44 engine, also where in canada r u located? close to WA?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #114
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
it's starting to look like an engine

I wouldn't take Yoda's comments too personally, we all want this project to succeed, we just want it NOW
Not taking Yoda personally, just giving him some crap back
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #115
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI View Post
i want a turbo engine too, how much would u charge for a turbo kit for the m44 engine, also where in canada r u located? close to WA?
Damn Dude, you are on the other side of USA LOL I am in Ontario. We are now working on it so can't give any pricing as yet. Follow the thread please to see our progress and when we complete the project.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 AM   #116
Jean H.318TI

i can drive there to get my turbo kit installed lol i would be the guinea pig lol

good luck with this built i love it
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #117
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI View Post
i can drive there to get my turbo kit installed lol i would be the guinea pig lol

good luck with this built i love it
You wont need to be a guinea pig, when we are finished with the build, there will be no experimenting, we will have all the facts for the M42/M44 turbo build design all down pat.
It's for this reason we are not rushing it but doing the build with a lot of attention to detail.
My buddy who is building this with me M42 was boosted and though it was not a detailed build as this, it's quick and ran great with no issues. That build covered a lot of the ground work already, this is perfecting it.

The drive should not be too bad if you would like to.

Thanks for the props and I will keep you guys up to date
Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #118
Turboready

Guys, seeing that everyone here failed at this project, do I get like some huge cash prize when this is done or something?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #119
Fagerheim

I cant believe all here has failed on building turbo on this engines ;S
I could do a "guide" / "write up" how to build a turbo engine of M42/M44 engines If anyone like to...
Good luck with the project Turboready! Im sure it will turn out great =)
A few questions:
What pistons / rods are u useing? whats the compression?
What injectors are you planning to use ?
Are you going to change the injection system or just chip it ?
What boost are you going to make it run on? (in bar please, since we rarly use psi in norway) ...
Fagerheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #120
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fagerheim View Post
Good luck with the project Turboready! Im sure it will turn out great =)
A few questions:
What pistons / rods are u useing? whats the compression?
What injectors are you planning to use ?
Are you going to change the injection system or just chip it ?
What boost are you going to make it run on? (in bar please, since we rarly use psi in norway) ...

Fagerheim, most of the guys here want to do this on a budget, not rebuilding the engine though a few will go all out. The guy I am doing this does not want to drop a ton of money on this either. I have seen lots of amazing projects coming out of Norway from BMW's, Volvos, VW's etc. but with lots of money thrown at it.

The guys here I think would like a fair quality, low cost bolt on kit using stock internals and that's the route I am going with this project.
So we are using stock pistons, rods and rings, rings and bearings are new. Everything on the head is stock but with new valve guides, seals and valves grinded and reseated. The head is rebuilt and resurfaced with no short cuts.
Compression will be a bit lower since we using a stock but thicker head gasket with ARP studs.
We will start with stock injectors but have two high volume extra boost injectors triggered by a micro processed extra injector controller. We will use a chip for timing and possibly off boost tuning.

Later we will possibly upgrade to m50 injectors and boost a bit more. We will start out with about .7 bar work up to 1 bar, but I think with stock internals around .8 bar should be the maximum boost for a daily driven street car.

Thanks for the encouragement