318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 855 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,370 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
BeansNJ

Exclamation Honestly, just being honest,

hey my fellow 318ti people who I love so much! I'm always on here (usually not logged on) and I'm always reading up on threads but now, I think I have a decision to make, that I would like some advice on

WARNING - NOT EVEN BMW RELATED!

so here's my situation, I have recently purchased at 93 240sx with an RB20DET swap (engine from the Skyline GTS-T) and well.. IT NEED A LOT OF WIRING DONE! it's basically a jigsaw puzzle, I have tons of parts from it and it's going to be GREAT car when it's done. ONLY PROBLEM IS, I'm not big into Nissan's.. and I mean AT ALL! which is fine and dandy to me, just got to join a forum for 240's, there's plenty out there.. I suppose

I ALSO somewhat have money tied up on another car that I'm in the middle of getting, a 95 Eagle Talon tSi AWD, needs a head gasket and the trans is done.. did I mention the trans is Auto, WHICH is supposed to be really sturdy (this guy must have beat the hell out of it) and that's not a problem, found a trans for $299, I'm not dissuaded at all.

every other day I wake up thinking "jeez, what do I want more?" I like the 240sx but I can't even tell you that I know ONE PERSON who has 1! the Talon is cool.. potential to be really quick, but it breaks a lot!

NOW THE BEST PART, somehow, in the last few weeks I've been discouraged from a 318ti!! now, I know that it's still a BMW and they are NOT cheap cars. but how much cheaper are they then the bigger models?

ironically enough, the person who I bought the 240sx from WORKS AT AZEVADO's in Linden, NJ!! I'm sure a few of you know how notorious AZEVADO's is for the BMW's, hell.. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, look at the new Gran Turismo, they have a custom '88 M3 right from their shop in the game

sorry if my thoughts seem scrambled, but my vent is that I ONLY stopped thinking 318ti's once I heard that they were extremely expensive and parts weren't too easy to find.

also, not to bash my friend who works at Azevado's, but he was insinuating that the 318's aren't really a great build meaning they rattle and shake and whatnot.

I hope you guys can prove me wrong and tell me to drop the 240, leave the thought of the Talon and GO FOR THE BIMMER! ..but first, are they really that expensive compared to say a 2000ish 5 series that's not under some dealer warranty?

HOPE YOU READ THE WHOLE POST BECAUSE I ALWAYSSSSS READ YOURS!

Last edited by BeansNJ; 05-10-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar
BeansNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
familytruckster

Vehicles

Not cheap? I've been surprised how cheap the parts are compared to my mazda...Parts are also very easy to find...You want a car that's tough to get parts for- try modding a Country Squire. NO dealer support, no aftermarket parts, and every single one of them have been crushed at the junkyards.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
ti-billy

Go with the 318ti. they are not cheap cars and you can find parts for pretty cheap compared to a lot of other cars i've owned and it's fairly easy to work on. Plus u have all the BMW knowledge u need right here on 318ti.ORG. I'm not a fan of the talons because like u said...they break...a lot!!
1996 318ti base: m44, 5 spd, lsd - 18x8 bremmer kraft wheels w/sumitumo tires 225/40R18 & bmw locking lug studs, 10mm spacers in rear, halo headlights, cold air intake, koni str.t struts and shocks w/mounts, h&r sport springs, serp belts, control arm & tie rod kits, front sway bar links, JVC kd-x50bt headunit w/ipod hook up in the glove box, alpine sps-500(front and rear), jl audio 10" powerwedge max, jl audio 250.1 amp, motor mounts, fuel filter, passenger side window motor, drivers lower window run, muffler hanger kit, various interior bulbs, left door striker/ajar switch, lower hood latches, changed from gray vinal to black leather shift and parking brake boots, m3 weighted shift knob, ngk-r spark plugs, magnecor spark plug wires(blue),new cabin micro-filters,new headliner & a-pillar mouldings, 5w20 synth-blend oil and filter, BG Ultra Guard syn. rear end fluid & ls additive, BG Syncro Shift II syn. manual trans fluids, stainless steel braided brake lines and dot 4 fluid, extra brake light mod, new p/s reservoir and rubber hoses

need to do - fix door panels, paint job, MORE MONEY!!
ti-billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Mad-Machine

honestly? my 1991 Saab 900s has NO rattles at 235000 miles.. while my 318ti's interior needs to be gone through and replaced due to all the broken clips, missing screwes, and aftermarket speakers some PO put in..

However.. the Ti is a LOT more fun to drive.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
BeansNJ

Smile

wow, I'm actually pretty surprised that the parts aren't too dangerously expensive.

and the guy who said his ti has a little rattling and whatnot, that's pretty much what I would hate, if I had to buy a BMW and feel like I'm in my friends 88 Camaro (it just sounds so horrible! the glass shakes, the panels make a noise that sounds likes thunder) or a Civic that shakes up when you drive over a little pot hole!

anyway guys, I honestly can't tell you how happy I am that I got some quick responses on this thread! I'm officially back on BMW after a few weeks of not knowing what the hell to go get anymore.

btw,
here's something funny I thought I should share with you guys,

about 2 weeks ago, 1am I'm heading over to a friends house and I see a mint 318ti at a Shell station, I speak the the guy for probably 20mins, he tells me he's gonna sell it for 2,000!! I TAKE HIS NUMBER DOWN, call it in the morning,

....."the number you are trying to reach is no longer in service"

Last edited by BeansNJ; 05-11-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: grammar
BeansNJ is offline   Reply With Quote