318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Today 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Today 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 196 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 742 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
maherbaz

Default I need help ASAP!!!

So as I wrote before, I hit a raccoon. Took it in to the insurance adjuster, and he talked me into leaving it with him at the saturn dealer and letting them fix it (big mistake, I was in the middle of finals and didn't have time to deal with it). I go yesterday to pick up my car, and it has a brand spanking new painted bumper BUT ITS NOT THE SPORT BUMPER!! I tell the adjuster and the body work guy that its wrong, and they both tell me that my car isn't "MX3" (never heard of that before) so the sport bumper won't fit it. I tell them that it had a (broken) sport bumper when I brought it in. The mechanic says that the bumper I brought in was barely hanging on, thus, according to his argument, it was the wrong bumper for the car. WHAT THE ****? The bumper was smashed, perhaps thats why it was barely haning on???
Anyway, I'm 99.99% positive that my car is a sport. It had a sport front bumper, rear bumper, sport interior (leather w/ cloth inserts), traction control, 10 speaker system, sport wheels, etc. However, they said that they ordered this ****ty bumper based on my VIN, which is another argument they have that my car isn't sport. They claim that the previous owner (a 75 year old Turkish man, the only previous owner) must have bought the car stock and just upgraded it. Does the VIN not specify which trim package the car had? Is there any way I can prove to these guys that my car is a sport?
Please, I'm going back in the morning..........help if you can.
Thanks,
Maher
Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
AlaskaBlue

Well the e36 M3 bumper fits on any e36 3 series. I the 97 sports did come with M3 bumpers. I find it hard to imagine that a 75 year old man would have an M3 bumper put on, but it is nor out of the question. I am not sure as to the VIN though.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
maherbaz

Jeez im fuming! Another thing he said is that I don't have a sport rear bumper. I was dumbfounded when he said that, so I didn't know what to say. I had always just assumed that my rear bumper was a sport. I just checked it out on REALOEM.COM and Ebay......My rear bumper is most definitely a sport!!! AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by maherbaz
Jeez im fuming! Another thing he said is that I don't have a sport rear bumper. I was dumbfounded when he said that, so I didn't know what to say. I had always just assumed that my rear bumper was a sport. I just checked it out on REALOEM.COM and Ebay......My rear bumper is most definitely a sport!!! AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
what insurance company are you with?

btw, i would ONLY let a bmw or euro shop do body work on my car and your unfortunate experience is why. do NOT give in to the shop or your insurance agent's bogus claims. stand your ground until it's fixed properly. was there any damage under the bumper? if so, was that actually fixed properly?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
AlaskaBlue

I would be fuming too. That is outrageous...reminds me of working with someother company coughKOcough. Some people are just ignorant and can't be reasoned with. Best of luck working this out!!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
maherbaz

Its with Geico. I drove my car home today, and they didn't make me pay the deductible until we settle this whole thing. Yeah i regret so much letting them do the work. Anyway, I busted both the AC condensor and the radiator, they replaced both. However, now my heat doesn't work and earlier in some stop and go traffic the car got really hot (approaching the red). Thats never happened before. I'm taking it back first thing in the morning. I am so pissed.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:06 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

****. do they know how to work on bmw's at all? wonder what they f*d up. appears they certainly didn't TEST their work, always a good sign. i'd get under there and look at everything! the things that really piss you off are all the things they didn't fix or didn't fix properly that you CAN'T see but discover further down the road.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:59 AM   #8
SDKmann

I would go to a BMW dealership and have them make sure it is a sport. After that I would have them give it a look and see what those guys did to it. Threaten to sue, that will get their attention and possibly speed things up.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
96cali

There could be an airbubble in your cooling system throwing off the reading of the temp. This is such an amateur job. Ask them to speak to a bimmer dealership to confirm the sport bumper fitment or just ask them to pull up autotrader and see the 100+ ti's with sport M bumpers. They're hoping you go away- don't. Keep pressing for resolution asap.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #10
PettitWC

dude, that sucks. i'm in the middle of a similar dispute with a body shop that did work on my car. I also didn't have time to actually deal with it b/c of school so I got f-ed too. They put on a rear bumper from an early model ti without the body colored bottom half. I have to wait until I get home for christmas to get it all resolved

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
maherbaz

Ok so I took it back this morning, it was an air bubble in the cooling system(at first they were trying to say it was my thermo). They didn't bleed the system when they replaced the radiator. Also, I printed diagrams of the bumpers from realoem.com/bmw and from pics on ebay to take in today. They ordered a new sport bumper and said they will install it next week. It just makes me nervous because these guys clearly don't know what they are doing.