318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 728 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,302 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-31-2005, 05:43 AM   #16
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i can take pics of my cracking e30 m3 bushings if you want

i'll have to check with maurolin on the eyeball arms. he had 'em and said it made quite a nice difference. i'll see how long he had them and whether or not they squeaked. i don't need any more squeakin' in my car

as for the increased caster, the guys who worked on my car before i moved to denver that race and race prep bmws recommended the offset bushings for the change in camber/caster
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
cali-ti
aka Stabby

so i PM'd maurolin and asked him about his experience with the eyeball arms. here is his response (thanks maurolin!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurolin
very stiff, (that's a good thing for braking and higher speed handling, as well as heavy load turning.) no squeeking at all.

That was one of the best mods I did. I am doing it to my 4D M3 first week on 06. I would do it again and again and again!.

go for it... it's worth it.
now, it's up to you if you want to potentially deal with something that stiff. going from the stock LCABs and internally rubber mounted ball joints to the e30 m3 hard, solid rubber LCABs and solid metal ball joints didn't really increase any harshness to the ride that i noticed, but it SURE did sharpen up the steering feel and responsiveness. i'm hoping/guessing the eyeball arms have a similar effect (but allowing for even less deflection/movement in the control arms). the other thing i was looking at with the eyeballs is they should be easier to replace than trying to remove/replace the bushings in the stock brackets.

just my 2 (or maybe 5) cents
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:54 PM   #18
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Strong
cool website. That is what I love about message boards!

Do these E36 Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates fit on top of the strut tower under the hood? Or underneith?
https://secure15.nexternal.com/share...t=products.asp
The reason I ask is that if they fit under it would be wise to get them now.
In real life is this an issue I should watch for? I wont be using camber plates. I will be making my own strut tower bars though and adding the lower brace kits front and rear.
The reinforcement plates fit between the upper bearing and the shock tower gasket. If you will be installing a strut tower brace, you do not need one. The strut bar bases will be acting as the reinforcement plates.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #19
Bill Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_2.1-ti
The reinformant plates fit between the upper bearing and the shock tower gasket. If you will be installing a strut tower brace, you do not need one. The strut bar bases will be acting as the reinforcement plates.

Cheers,

very cool. thanks man. I was actually thinking the same about that. Basically what was the difference. There would be none.
http://www.mr2oc.com
http://www.racingstrong.com
Bill Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
sprnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by clex2
Bill,

cool, I am looking in to the same set up as you come spring. Mtech and Koni. There have been numerous threads on shocks, with Bilsteins being a top choice among most, but I am partial to Koni.

The install should be straight forward, but there are a few things to replace while you are there. Understeer.com has a kit with most things you need, like stronger rear shock mounts (rsm's) and new hardware:

http://understeer.com/onlinestore-suspension.shtml
(see e36 install kit)

I tried pricing these individually from a discount vendor and the price is not that much cheaper, so I would just get the kit from them.

Can I ask where you bought the shocks from and how much. The best I found was understeer.com, +$15 extra for the M-tech compatible ones.

Please let the board know how you like the new set up (ride, handling, ride height changes, etc.)

The rear end needs no alignment, but I would think a front end alignment would be in order.

Here is a good site for a DIY on suspension work:
http://logun.org
clex:

Does your car still have the custom coilover suspension that Ben installed? How is the ride with that? Any reason why you are thinking of switching over to a new setup?
sprnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #21
clex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprnova
clex:

Does your car still have the custom coilover suspension that Ben installed? How is the ride with that? Any reason why you are thinking of switching over to a new setup?
sprnova,

Funny. Yes I still have the custom threaded coilovers from RE on the red 330ti. It rides firm, but overly so. You can feel the bumps on not so good roads, but on the highway, it feels really planted. I could live with it on a daily basis, but once in a while a big bump can really jar you.

The M-tech/Koni setup is for my daily driver, a stock white 318ti (see my gallery). That's why I asked so many questions here and on BF.c about ride quality. Right now it has the stock set up excpet for upgraded M-tech sway bars front and rear, I have M-tech springs waiting to be paired up with a set of Konis this spring. I'll be revisiting this thread for Bills highly detailed, step by step DIY instructions with many high res pics : P
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #22
Bill Strong

Here are the Koni's. I am waiting for the install kit to arrive. Hopefully I will have those soon for an install of next weekend.
I don't understand how to adjust the rear shocks. These look like the same style shocks that came on the back of my Shelby Charger GLHS, but they had the adjuster at the top like the fronts have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	BMWKoni.jpg Views:	165 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	1138  
Old 01-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
clex2

The rears are a PITA to adjust, I think you have to unbolt the lower attachment point, compress the shock and twist. Then re-install. YOu can get top mounted adjustable Konis from...I think Ground Control, and they are special order and cost more. Then you can do it form the trunk and either remove the carpet each time or make a hole.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 01-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #24
Bill Strong

Rears -
Koni Special 'D'
80 2641SPORT man 09-11-2004
2004/45 391358
2 per box
includes nuts and washers
jounce nylon bushing pre-installed
Torque instructions and some images of hands doing install and special jacking instructions. Looks like wheels must be on the ground when the shocks (rear) are removed. Possibly to keep the spring from flying out and killing you.

Fronts-
Koni Special 'D'
8741 1247LSPOR Left Strut one box
30-03-2005
2005/11

8741 1247RSPOR Right Strut one box
19-10-2005
2005/41

Includes:
Joince bushing, spring lock washer, nut and plastic adjuster in parts bag. Torque instructions, and install instructions included.
http://www.mr2oc.com
http://www.racingstrong.com
Old 01-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #25
Bill Strong

Default Rear Koni Shocks - included in box stuff

koni-rear-partskit.jpg = rear parts kit for the rear Koni shocks

koni-rear-torque.jpg = Koni Rear torque spec sheet

koni-rear-instruction1.jpg = Instruction sheet - how to adjust rear shocks on bench

koni-rear-instruction2.jpg = more detailed installation instructions- 2 sheets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	koni-rear-partskit.jpg Views:	143 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	1139   Click image for larger version Name:	koni-rear-torque.jpg Views:	145 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	1140   Click image for larger version Name:	koni-rear-instruction1.jpg Views:	142 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	1141  

Click image for larger version Name:	koni-rear-instruction2.jpg Views:	136 Size:	28.7 KB ID:	1142  
Old 01-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #26
Bill Strong

Default Front Koni Struts - included in box stuff

koni-front-parts.jpg = front parts kit included in each strut box. Total of two kits included with whole front suspension kit... right and left box.

koni-front-instruction1.jpg = Yellow instruction sheet

koni-front-instruction2.jpg = More instructions on white sheet for Koni fronts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	koni-front-parts.jpg Views:	128 Size:	12.6 KB ID:	1143   Click image for larger version Name:	koni-front-instruction1.jpg Views:	133 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	1144   Click image for larger version Name:	koni-front-instruction2.jpg Views:	132 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	1145  

Old 01-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #27
96cali

Bill- I belive you either have to disconnect the top or the bottom, compress, twist and reinstall. The top adjustables are much like the fronts. If you want a price and first hand know how, contact Brett Anderson at www.koalamotorsport.com. May take him a day but he's super knowledgable and nice.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:47 AM   #28
DeadpaN

I'm in the middle of the rear install, and I also have the M-tech. Whats with the actual set-up, I mean I'm guessing we don't use the old plastic dust sleeve and what about the old rubber bump stop? I'll attach pictures to illustrate.

Unlike the stock shock, koni has a dust sleeve.

The metal washer top of the stock sleeve has this rubber bump under it.

Do I use this? Like this?

Or should it go without like so?

And one last one, there is a white plastic washer/spacer? which has to be removed for adjustment as well as the rubber bump inside the koni sleeve, bump goes back, but does the washer? I foresee that thing rattling.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:31 AM   #29
clex2

Do like your #2 picture. Don't reuse the rubber bump stop. The koni already has it in the metal sleeve. Do not use a washer under the RSM. Jsut put the metal sleeve up against the rubber part of the RSM. I reused the curved stock upper washer, and put the (new) nut on top of that, no small washer in between. The curved washer let you reuse the rubber clown nose looking cover. And BTW, do you have Z3 reinforcement plates. I would put those on too since you are already there.

The white spacer washer hasn't made a peep. It's fine as it is. Leave it

Did you do the fronts yet. I still have to get to that in the next few weeks when I get time. If you do it before me, let me know any tips or tricks. Thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 02:51 AM   #30
DeadpaN

Cool! Thanks clex you saved my ass! I gotta hurry this before the girlfriend gets home, I've surpassed her tolerance thresh-hold for car projects!