318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
ClubSport

Default Will ellipsoids hit my intake?

I know, hard to tell without seeing my engine bay, but how much further back do they stick than the stock headlights? I did a search and found one or two pictures that were not so clear. I have a K&N filter sitting in pretty much the original DASC location. I'm fed up with these headlights. I can't stand that my Liberty has better lighting than this car.

I am thinking of getting these http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....roducts_id=145
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Will'sBimmer

I do not know about the size issue but you should check out ddmtuning.com for good headlight deals. just my .02
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
spidertri

Vehicles

I bought some DEPOs for my car, I also fogged my airbox.

Now, the intake tube I put in should be fine with the headlights, I am more worried about my horn. I relocated it up and behind my driver side headlight, I can tell just from looking at the new headlight that it won't fit with the horn right there.

If you just have a K&N filter, I think you will be ok. The guys at ddm have said that they have yet to encounter a CAI that won't let them install ellipsoids.

DDM has amazing prices on headlights and I think a lifetime warranty on the HID kits. Their shipping times are questionable, during the holidays they got so many orders that it would take 2 weeks to ship a set of headlights. They custom build all the headlights with the options chosen by the customer which takes a while. I think if you ordered now though you would get the lights pretty quickly.

Please don't order from umnitza though, those guys are just shady, and routinely edit and delete posts on bimmerforums when people bad mouth their company.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
AlexBimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I bought some DEPOs for my car, I also fogged my airbox.

Now, the intake tube I put in should be fine with the headlights, I am more worried about my horn. I relocated it up and behind my driver side headlight, I can tell just from looking at the new headlight that it won't fit with the horn right there.

If you just have a K&N filter, I think you will be ok. The guys at ddm have said that they have yet to encounter a CAI that won't let them install ellipsoids.

DDM has amazing prices on headlights and I think a lifetime warranty on the HID kits. Their shipping times are questionable, during the holidays they got so many orders that it would take 2 weeks to ship a set of headlights. They custom build all the headlights with the options chosen by the customer which takes a while. I think if you ordered now though you would get the lights pretty quickly.

Please don't order from umnitza though, those guys are just shady, and routinely edit and delete posts on bimmerforums when people bad mouth their company.

by DDM, are u referring to ddmtuning.com ? i found this website and they offer the Apexcone headlights for only $125 with a lifetime warranty (Also Depo for $150)!!!! Also your choice of Raptor, Apexcone, or DDM[+$15] HID's for free. They also have an option for your choice of angel eyes [MyCarr CCFL, Thin-lines, or DDE Ultra]. Depending on your package, it can run you the flat $125 for the headlight unit and HID, or if you upgrade your HID and angel eye options, up to approx $250. These prices are some of the best I've come acoss and they're offered with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/e36lipa1.html

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS LEGIT?!?!?!??!

Stock 1996 318ti Sport
AlexBimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
BMW_Hatchback

Legit it is, but expect to wait some time for assembly+shipping.
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
AlexBimz

thanks for the assurance. the wait isn't an issue for me, my dad has had it stock since '96, a few extra weeks won't hurt a bit =P
One question, according to their descriptions it seems that Apexcone headlights are more durable and reliable than the Depo's, true?!
Also any recommendations on HID or angel eye options? I was thinking of getting the 5000k DDM HID's [because of the slim ballasts] and the DDE Ultra HD angel eyes [60+ LED setup].

Stock 1996 318ti Sport
AlexBimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
BMW_Hatchback

I have a 96, and I bought DEPO Euro Ellipsoids. One of the clips broke immediately, but I can assure you that no matter what brand, the clips will hate you. However, the whole assembly has been solid, other than one dead 55w ballast within months. The output of the DEPO EURO Ellips. are fantastic, and the adjusters don't strip easily like my old stock headlights. Once I got them in there, they fill perfectly from the nose to the hood. Make sure you order for sedan. They also left minimal gap, and my stock headlights left a gap I could stick my finger through. I recommend any of the three options of headlights. 5000k is perfect, and they will send you slim ballasts anyway. Either get the Ultra HD angel eyes (60 LEDs) or get thinlines to keep it clean. My buddy has thinlines, and they look more OEM than anything with a pure white soft glow.

I wouldn't recommend going above 8000k, and I would stick with 35w ballasts. I have 12000k 55w ballasts, and apparently I still blind people after adjusting them multiple times. good luck, and let us know your final decision before you buy.

*random tip: if at any point you are pushing the headlight in with all of your might and strength, something is wrong, and something is bound to break.
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
spidertri

Vehicles

As already stated, ddmtuning is legit. They definitely have a long wait time but it was worth it in my opinion for the price. Jim@DDM has always said, if you can afford it to get the DEPOs over the apexcones. The DEPOs have a better projector than the apexcone. Even though the plastic quality is slightly worse, it is possible to install them without breaking a tab.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Bavarian Tuning

Most likely the ellipsoids will hit the cold air intake... BUT you can trim and shape if you need to... I have a 98 and have a cold air intake from BAV Auto, and ZKW euro ellipsoids w Xenon.... I made it all fit with not that much trimming and time... an hour perhaps?
Go for it, its worth it!
Billy Maher
Bavarian Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote