318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,024,620 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Wraythe

Arrow Restoration Question?

I posted the following request for help on bimmerforums.com ( http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1475941 ):

I'm restoring '95 318ti Sport and have several questions for M3 community

1. Sport model has same ground effects as M3. From the factory, was rock guard applied on the ground effects?

2. Sport model has similar rear bumper valance as M3. What sheen of black should the valance be painted?

I'm posting this in M3 forum due to similar finishes. I tried the search feature but I did not find the answer.

It never amazes me with the replies you get

Does anyone know the answer? Thank you!
Wraythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

no rock guard and it originally came with the luxury package skirts and slat grill

the rear valance is unpainted plastic but since it's already been painted I'd just use some flat black paint, the SEM paint suggested is a good choice

have fun restoring your giant pile of 4 cyl.
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
spidertri

Vehicles

Just FYI, The '95 sport did not have the M tech bumpers. The only '95 model to have those bumpers was the clubsport. '96+ sports did have the M tech bumpers though.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Just FYI, The '95 sport did not have the M tech bumpers. The only '95 model to have those bumpers was the clubsport. '96+ sports did have the M tech bumpers though.
+1, I just noticed the year of your ti

is it black or red? and does it have a black leather and red cloth interior? that would make it a clubsport model which there were only about 300 made
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
blndweasel

just to clarify -- sport rockers are different from M3 rockers.

:P

tbw

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
BMW_Hatchback

1+ ^^
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Wraythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
have fun restoring your giant pile of 4 cyl
I'm glad you reviewed the thread

It's no wonder most people I know dislike BMW owners. The rock guard finish is slowly being removed from under the doors ( ground effects or whatever they're called )

Thank you for your input!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
Wraythe

Quote:
+1, I just noticed the year of your ti

is it black or red? and does it have a black leather and red cloth interior? that would make it a ClubSport model which there were only about 300 made
I almost purchased a ClubSport however my son insisted on having a sunroof. The interior looks the same as a ClubSport but its black not red. The cloth insert has some weird multi-color pattern similar to this picture:

Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
tiFreak

Vehicles

really? never seen a stock interior in a ti anything like that, must have been a custom job, post a pic
Old 06-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
Wraythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I ran a VIN check at the local BMW dealership when I purchased the 318ti. The dealership told me it is the Sport model with a list of all the factory options. It has the M3 styled front and rear bumpers. If your telling me the Ti Sport model was not available in 1995 and the dealership confirms the VIN, what do I have

The previous owners showed me a picture of the Ti from 1996 if I recall correctly. The wheels looked similar to e36 M3 Double Spokes except I could see lettering casted into the wheel. Sometime in the late nineties the wheels were stolen
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
Wraythe

Quote:
really? never seen a stock interior in a ti anything like that, must have been a custom job, post a pic
It's definitely not custom interior.

I'm hoping to bring the Ti home from the paint booth sometime next week. Once I put the Ti back together, I'll post pictures
Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #12
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraythe View Post
I ran a VIN check at the local BMW dealership when I purchased the 318ti. The dealership told me it is the Sport model with a list of all the factory options. It has the M3 styled front and rear bumpers. If your telling me the Ti Sport model was not available in 1995 and the dealership confirms the VIN, what do I have

The previous owners showed me a picture of the Ti from 1996 if I recall correctly. The wheels looked similar to e36 M3 Double Spokes except I could see lettering casted into the wheel. Sometime in the late nineties the wheels were stolen
In 1995 the ti had 4 configurations:
-Base
-Active
-Sport
-Clubsport

The clubsport was the only model in 1995 to come from the factory with M tech bumpers, M mirrors, sport suspension, red millpoint sport interior, and black or red exterior.

The sport had the suspension and sport interior but it had the normal base/active bumpers.

In 1996, the clubsport and sport models were merged and the clubsport name was dropped. The '96+ sport had M bumpers, sport suspension, and sport interior.

The clubsport/sport always had 16" style 18 wheels stock.

The wheels you describe sound like Doublespoke Is (DSIs) or style 22. Perhaps the previous owner ordered those wheels from the factory or added them after the fact.

There is a thread in the lounge section by Mallard where he will decode your VIN if you post the last 7 characters. That might clear up some confusion.

13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
dave45056

That interior looks different than any ti I have seen. I saw your post on BFc, and was also wondering if the car was a club sport. But looking at this interior it looks highly modified. Door panels don't look right. Instrument panel looks different, not just the colors, but the shape on mine is curved, not faceted like that one. Switches in the lower trim panel on the drivers side is not standard. Even the center console looks different. Wings on the sides look bigger than the ti style. The window switches look different, too.
I'm not sure, but is this possibly a E30 interior swap?
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
spidertri

Vehicles

He said the picture in post #8 shows what his cloth resembles, not that it is his interior.

13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
Mr. Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraythe View Post
I posted the following request for help on bimmerforums.com ( http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1475941 ):

I'm restoring '95 318ti Sport and have several questions for M3 community

1. Sport model has same ground effects as M3. From the factory, was rock guard applied on the ground effects?

2. Sport model has similar rear bumper valance as M3. What sheen of black should the valance be painted?

I'm posting this in M3 forum due to similar finishes. I tried the search feature but I did not find the answer.

It never amazes me with the replies you get

Does anyone know the answer? Thank you!
In reagrds to fitment on these M-tech pieces, the front end will bolt right up to your ti. If your 95' is a active or sport most likely you have fog lights. Fitment will not be an issue going aftermarket or OEM. Unless you have a club sport, you will not have side skirts. Any sideskirts from an e 36 will fit. There are only two, Luxuary and sport(twistys). Your going to have to drill holes in your rockers and fit them the proper way!

The rear diffuser question has already been touched on, and is not painted. As far as your interior, I have only seen one ti with something close to that, its very rare and is some kind of sport interior.

If the exterioir paint is not Hellrot or black, its not a club sport...but may be a rare special order. sounds like a sweet ti, I didnt bother to look at the link, sorry. please post some pics here!

And welcome!