318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
BMW_Hatchback

Default Motor-oil and Antifreeze mix.

My father's 1989 BMW 525i broke down this past weekend. We looked at it, and there was oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. We know this is a major issue, does anyone know the cause and/or solution to this issue? This valve started ticking a while ago, a few people told me we the only issue with that was that it will only waste more gas. Let me know
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Hatchback View Post
My father's 1989 BMW 525i broke down this past weekend. We looked at it, and there was oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. We know this is a major issue, does anyone know the cause and/or solution to this issue? This valve started ticking a while ago, a few people told me we the only issue with that was that it will only waste more gas. Let me know
Ouch!! That "usually" means the head gasket has failed. But, to be really sure a qualified mechanic will have to determine that issue.
Good Luck with it.

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
larryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Hatchback View Post
You have serious problems. Sounds like a rear main seal or head gasket, but could be from anywhere. Your block has coolant flowing through it to cool the internals, and oil running through different areas as lubricant. The engine block has metallic walls between these areas, and seals between places that they could come in contact with each other. Somewhere that seal got breached on your dad's car.

Do not drive it this way, of you'll seize the block. Oil mixed with water cannot lubricate the engine effectively, and the pistons will overheat and weld themselves to the cylinder walls, making it a large paperweight.

Have it towed somewhere to find out how the two fluids are getting contaminated.
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
BMW_Hatchback

Thank you to you both, it's going to take about 1500 to fix and replace. We are debating if it's worth it because we have quite a few cars to care for. Thank you all for your insight! ....I hope we don't have to part the car off...
Old 05-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
pdxmotorhead

1500 is the starting number, you won't really know till its apart how much will need replaced. I'd consider a low mile long block if you can find one.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
BMW_Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
1500 is the starting number, you won't really know till its apart how much will need replaced. I'd consider a low mile long block if you can find one.

Dave
Yeah 1500 it is. We might have it replaced, if I can come up with some money to contribute. Thanks for everything Bimmer heads!