318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
Yesterday 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 319,636 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,098,912 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
BMW_Hatchback

The car doesn't look too good, but I'm very very happy you came out okay.

There's plenty ot clean Ti's out there, I say it may be time to pack it up and start fresh, again
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
BRADESTAR

Vehicles
Default betweenst the lines

I'm sorry for your loss....

Another one bites the dust. You shouldn't feel too bad though. Only money, call it a lesson learned and next time have your girlfriend drive it home. Sounds like you could've used a few days to simma-donna a bit!

Start saving and searching. I'm still looking for my little ole' lady.

I'd think it poor judgement to put that back on the road. Looks and sounds totalled from where I sit.
BRADESTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
M44G260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADESTAR View Post

Another one bites the dust. You shouldn't feel too bad though. Only money, call it a lesson learned and next time have your girlfriend drive it home. Sounds like you could've used a few days to simma-donna a bit!

I'd think it poor judgement to put that back on the road. Looks and sounds totalled from where I sit.
I got more pics. Looks like it was somehow spared from frame damage. Still not worth fixing. Radiator is a tiny bit bent but doesnt look punctured. Engine-back is good. I don't feel bad anymore because I can get my money back in parts, I feel bad for the car. Haha. Impact speed was like 30-35mph, but it was sideways ahead of the front wheel (look at hood for evidence) 10-20% tread rear tires on a damp road FTL. I'm gonna make a part out listing, I have all the parts from the car incl every seal and gasket and trim bit and electrical connection. I am gonna keep engine trans and diff though. Help me find a shell FS on this forum, please. I only found one, and he didnt reply to PM. No shell=no 318 for me, back to my old stick shift Sentra. Lol can't afford to keep two cars. I wanna scrap the frame and sell the odds and ends left over. I can also screenshot the Carfax.
M44G260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
M44G260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADESTAR View Post

Youre right though, it's only metal and money at the end of the day. No one was hurt or injured. These cars can take a hit. My sentra probably would have also saved me, but looked twice as bad after the collision lol
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
M44G260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Hatchback View Post
The car doesn't look too good, but I'm very very happy you came out okay.

There's plenty ot clean Ti's out there, I say it may be time to pack it up and start fresh, again
I'll get more pics up, it's not quite as bad as it looks. Thanks though. Doors open and close with no issue.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #21
hotmilk400

... fixing that car is not going to be easy or cheap. i can tell you that pulling and swapping a motor is not an easy task. it typically takes a full day for 3 people to pull a motor at my place (if its your first time) ... keep in mind you might have to do this twice, then install a new one. you also need to buy a puller and invest in a ton of unique tools. do you plan to do the swap yourself?

I have bought 7 totaled/smashed 318ti's and never saw the airbag go off in any of them. Your best bet it to just sell it to someone, take the loss, and buy a new one. If and only if you have the room, part it out. it takes hours and hours to part out a car. Your hands are going to get cut and smashed and will hurt real bad. some parts are nearly impossible to get out. some parts take months or years to sell. in the end, it makes money but you have to have extra time and invest in tools to do it. you will have to learn all about shipping heavy parts, and you found out very quickly that shipping is not cheap. sometimes the best might be to just unload it for $1000ish depending on the model,options and damage.

you can get most of the money quickly without having to do any work.

Best of luck with whatever you do. i am not trying to convince you to do anything, but i am simply telling you that nothing is as easy as it seems.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
M44G260

Click image for larger version Name:	2013-06-13 13.05.35.jpg Views:	121 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	14028

Click image for larger version Name:	2013-06-13 12.27.39.jpg Views:	118 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	14029

part-out thread coming soon. i would ideally love to find a chassis.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
M44G260

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
... fixing that car is not going to be easy or cheap. i can tell you that pulling and swapping a motor is not an easy task. it typically takes a full day for 3 people to pull a motor at my place (if its your first time) ... keep in mind you might have to do this twice, then install a new one. you also need to buy a puller and invest in a ton of unique tools. do you plan to do the swap yourself?

I have bought 7 totaled/smashed 318ti's and never saw the airbag go off in any of them. Your best bet it to just sell it to someone, take the loss, and buy a new one. If and only if you have the room, part it out. it takes hours and hours to part out a car. Your hands are going to get cut and smashed and will hurt real bad. some parts are nearly impossible to get out. some parts take months or years to sell. in the end, it makes money but you have to have extra time and invest in tools to do it. you will have to learn all about shipping heavy parts, and you found out very quickly that shipping is not cheap. sometimes the best might be to just unload it for $1000ish depending on the model,options and damage.

you can get most of the money quickly without having to do any work.

Best of luck with whatever you do. i am not trying to convince you to do anything, but i am simply telling you that nothing is as easy as it seems.
Thanks for the advice. I love working on cars though, and can obtain a hoist and tools. I work on my sentra whenever possible.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
M44G260

Click image for larger version Name:	2013-06-13 13.05.40.jpg Views:	109 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	14030

motor is a bit off, but the belts aren't even snapped. Only issue is the coolant line mess, and maybe a pulley. belts would obv have to be replaced

Last edited by M44G260; 06-15-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
M44G260

Impact was sideways on drivers side headlight. more detailed pics coming soon in part out thread. Car still steers full lock. doors open and close fine. No windows broken, just windshield broken by pass airbag. I need to take the fenders off but can't find those damn hex keys. my family's japanese cars never needed them.

Last edited by M44G260; 06-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
hotmilk400

those aren't hex keys, they are torx. Nearly every store should have them, they are slowly becoming standard on many things. most bit sets should have the popular ones. there are standard sizes, you dont need to invest to much. A full set might only have 8 sizes. I know lowes/home depot has nice sets for very little money. The bits that fit into a screw driver should be good enough. Sears has them attached to 3/8in sockets if you plan to torque them hard. Most stores should have them. Make sure you get sizes T15 - T40, not a small set of like T3 - T20.

If you have a few days, you will find that buying this will be the best choice in your entire life. The price is great, and its all specialty bits. You wont run into to many uses for the other bits working on the car (a few might required the security torx bits, which is the standard torx with a hole in the middle. cant get them in the stores often)

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Bit-Securit...&keywords=torx

If you are looking for sockets, this kit is a lifesaver. It has all the speciatly bits/Torx/ Star bits that you will ever need. you might not think you will need some star bits, but the car uses them for the differential. you honestly might as well buy both sets, but if i had to pick a set, it would be 100% this set. It covers ever bit you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-35-Piece...&keywords=torx

^^ like i said, you will need this set if you plan on removing the differential. It uses special star bits to connect the rear wheel axes to the differential. a set of 6 star bits at Sears will run you $39.99 alone. Pay the extra tho and get both items, you will not regret it. i promise.

... also, the car is totaled, the front rails are bent. You can cut out the old ones with a touch and buy used ones from someone, but not sure if that is technically legal or not to weld them back in. Best of luck
Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
M44G260

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post
those aren't hex keys, they are torx. Nearly every store should have them, they are slowly becoming standard on many things. most bit sets should have the popular ones. there are standard sizes, you dont need to invest to much. A full set might only have 8 sizes. I know lowes/home depot has nice sets for very little money. The bits that fit into a screw driver should be good enough. Sears has them attached to 3/8in sockets if you plan to torque them hard. Most stores should have them. Make sure you get sizes T15 - T40, not a small set of like T3 - T20.

If you have a few days, you will find that buying this will be the best choice in your entire life. The price is great, and its all specialty bits. You wont run into to many uses for the other bits working on the car (a few might required the security torx bits, which is the standard torx with a hole in the middle. cant get them in the stores often)

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Bit-Securit...&keywords=torx

If you are looking for sockets, this kit is a lifesaver. It has all the speciatly bits/Torx/ Star bits that you will ever need. you might not think you will need some star bits, but the car uses them for the differential. you honestly might as well buy both sets, but if i had to pick a set, it would be 100% this set. It covers ever bit you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-35-Piece...&keywords=torx

^^ like i said, you will need this set if you plan on removing the differential. It uses special star bits to connect the rear wheel axes to the differential. a set of 6 star bits at Sears will run you $39.99 alone. Pay the extra tho and get both items, you will not regret it. i promise
THANK YOU SO MUCH! You have no idea how hectic my life is now. They brought summons against me for random bull**** and I'm calling a lawyer, trying to find a lot to store the car, and a job, at the same time. FTR I'm a college student doing research on top of this.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
hotmilk400

where in NJ are you? you can store it in my covered shop for pretty much nothing a month, but you would need to toe it here and back. Im not far from NJ, but it sounds like you live closer to NY. I know how you feel, just graduated college and still looking for a job.

*Pretty much nothing a month means $30 a month. its inside. You cant do major work there, (like pull the motor). It has 40+ ft ceilings. about 1000 sq ft..

**actually, i dont care if you pull the motor there... but you will have to sign something that says if you bust your hand doing it or the car rolls over you, i cant get sued.

Last edited by hotmilk400; 06-15-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #29
Diplomat

It's hard to look at photos like that but as most have said your lucky to have come out of it intact. You'll be surprised how things like this will motivate you to keep moving forward.
Good luck.
Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote