318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 20,357 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,324,303 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 409,996 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,325 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 3,835 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,336 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,578 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
operaflute

Default ball joints vs. control arms

I needed new front shocks/struts, tires and alignment on my 1998 ti (along with a zillion other things). My husband and I did the shocks, brought the car into Costco for tires, and then brought the car to an indepentdent BMW shop for the alignment.
They said the alignment wouldn't stick because there is play in the ball joints. They want to replace the lower control arms (does that include the ball joint?), replace the bushings (had that done 2 years ago) and then align. Estimate is $758.98.
What would cause the control arms to go bad? Or is it just easier than doing only the ball joints?
How long can this wait? I'm leaving town and probably won't be back until mid-August, and need to drive the car to and from northern utah (round trip almost 2000 miles) towing a 500 pound trailer.
I also need a clutch, and was thinking that was priority number one.
Opinions?
Thanks!
operaflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

how bad is the clutch and what indicators do you have? hauling a trailer will definitely cause added wear so if your current clutch would survive the trip, i might be tempted to install the new clutch afterwards.

how do the control arm bushings look? which ball joints need to be replaced (there are multiple)?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute
I needed new front shocks/struts, tires and alignment on my 1998 ti (along with a zillion other things). My husband and I did the shocks, brought the car into Costco for tires, and then brought the car to an indepentdent BMW shop for the alignment.
They said the alignment wouldn't stick because there is play in the ball joints. They want to replace the lower control arms (does that include the ball joint?), replace the bushings (had that done 2 years ago) and then align. Estimate is $758.98.
What would cause the control arms to go bad? Or is it just easier than doing only the ball joints?
How long can this wait? I'm leaving town and probably won't be back until mid-August, and need to drive the car to and from northern utah (round trip almost 2000 miles) towing a 500 pound trailer.
I also need a clutch, and was thinking that was priority number one.
Opinions?
Thanks!

I think it would take some guts to go on a trip with worn ball joints a bad clutch while towing a trailer.

To check the control arm bushings lift up the front end and shake the wheel, while doing this look at inner control arm bushing if it is moving it is a good indication it is time to replace.

All this work you need will be a good opportunity to buy quality aftermarket upgrades for less than or equal to the cost of stock parts. I would suggest buying your parts from a place like bavauto.com.

If Costco made airplanes would you ride in one? Just kidding
jkilla71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
dodj

i recently had the outer ball joints replaced and the bushings. i think from reading it is easier to replace the whole arm at once with the ball joint already in.

after i replaced my parts and tightened up that area, it made the movement in the steering rack and tie rods to be noticed more at highway speeds so im lookinag at 1000 to fix all that. yay.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
evalha007

I had nearly the same thing a few months ago... I went to get an alignment and the mechs told me that there was no point to it unless my ball joints were replaced...it was going to cost 700+

I nearly paid it, but thought better of it and went to a friend of mine who is a mech; he said that is a common trick places pull to get you to spend $$. The put the car up on the lift and shake the wheels and show you the play in the ball joint. My friend said that method won't work if the entire front end of the car is off the ground... He checked it and said the only thing that needed replacing on my car was a control arm which was about 150 w/labor. He also said that ball joints seldom go bad on BMWs...

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9302
Silver 98 318ti Standard trans, Sport Package: 16" Stock Wheels, Foglamps, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, Bilstein performance shocks, OEM Sach's clutch kit, Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16 tires, Alpine CDA 7894, Dual Rockford Fosgate 12" subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, Leather Armrest, Replaced M44 engine with only 40k on it!
http://www.geocities.com/evalha/bmwsmaller.JPG
evalha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i somewhat disagree, i think the stock ball joints we have on our ti's suck. they're rubber mounted and tend to go bad. that said, have you noticed any shaking in the wheel or anything else with the steering that might indicate they're bad? wobble, tracks poorly on grooved pavement, that sort of thing?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
operaflute

Well, yes, the car was shaking like crazy and pulling to the right. That's why I replaced the front shocks (the passenger side one was indeed bad). Needed new tires, too, since they had worn unevenly. (Yes, I got the tires at Costco. My motorcycle gets the expensive tires, the car does not! ) Now it drives fine, although I've yet to be on the highway. The alignment was supposed to be the last bit in the process, but... well, you know the rest of the story!
I'm so glad I posted up - keep the opinions coming!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

do you have time to take it to another shop for a second opinion? if you do have to replace ball joints, i would recommend just getting the meyle control arms with solid metal ball joints already pressed in. you may want to do control arm bushings again at the same time, i know they have to more or less glue them in.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
operaflute

You know, I really don't have any time at all. I was planning on pulling out Saturday, and not getting back til mid-Aug. I could get work done while up in Utah - in fact I was planning on doing the clutch while there. Guess I was just wondering if the suspension stuff will make it to Utah, whether or not all those parts do indeed need replacing, what should come first (clutch or front end) and the like... Ideally, we could do the job ourselves in August, if it indeed needs doing. Perhaps I could get the second opinion in Utah while getting the clutch done.

I should say that the car will first be sitting for two weeks up in Phoenix, while I am out of the country, before I continue to Utah. If it MUST be done before I drive to Utah, I COULD have the dealer in Phx do the job while I am away, although I am reluctant, for $ reasons...

It's nice to get everyone's thought on all this! I'll feel better making a somewhat informed decision.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:33 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

well, i've never heard of a ball joint flying apart. if everything feels pretty good yet, i would guess you'd be ok.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
dodj

i suggest taking it on the highway, befor ei replaced the ball joints an dbushings it was getting to the point of impossible to keep it in a straight line.

after i replaced the ball joints and bushings it was alot better control but the wheel shakes because there is movement in the tie rod ends and in the rack.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
operaflute

Well, I towed the bike (with the car) up to Phoenix eysterday, and it felt reasonable OK, so I guess I'll chance it and go to Utah as is. Then decide from there what to do next. Thanks to all!