318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 542 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 2,437 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 522 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 726 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,622 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
bullmand

Default Intake manifold heater flange.

I had an interesting discussion with co-worker today about this device(#12 in the linked diagram). He recently bought an Acura TSX. these cars have a similar device on the throttle body. Apparently it's a common mod for people that live in warmer climates to add an extra piece of tubing to the loop and bypass this warmer. The theory being that it's unnecessary heat being added to the incoming air. Has anyone played with this on the M44. It seems reasonable and one could probably easily whip up a seasonal mod for this. It's my understanding that this is where it is on the M44 to keep the DISA valve warm. Shouldn't need that when it's 90 out. I'm going to try to get some temperature readings in a couple of weeks (I'm out of town right now), but I need to get some equipment. What do you guys think?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=40
Old 09-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
dave45056

I was curious about bybassing this heater flange, too. Has anyone done this?
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Yes I don't run the heater. You need to remove the two hoses off it and connect them with a barb fitting or replace the complete hose with a solid piece. It's the hose that connects to the back of the head to the side of the block.

All DASC motors don't run the air intake heater so no problem removing it
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
lpcapital

That's not an air intake heater. According to the BMW training material on the M44 that is a plate to keep the PCV warm to avoid sludge deposits. If you look at the plumbing on the plate it just loop around right where the PCV passages are...

There's no reason on fuel injection motors to heat the intake air (it's actually counterproductive) since the injectors spray very close to the head...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
lazoh

WOW!! Resurrecting a 3 year old question is Kool!

This is to show everyone that visits this wonderful site, no question goes unanswer here!!!!!

318ti.org ROCKS!!!!!

1984 BMW 323i E30 BAUR (Euro)
1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
lazoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
That's not an air intake heater. According to the BMW training material on the M44 that is a plate to keep the PCV warm to avoid sludge deposits. If you look at the plumbing on the plate it just loop around right where the PCV passages are...

There's no reason on fuel injection motors to heat the intake air (it's actually counterproductive) since the injectors spray very close to the head...

Thanks for that information. So since I'm running the stock manifold with PCV on there I should be ok since I have a oil separator??
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
lpcapital

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Thanks for that information. So since I'm running the stock manifold with PCV on there I should be ok since I have a oil separator??
Well, there could be some issues with it.

The term "Positive" in PCV means that the valve keeps the cranckase at atmospheric pressure regardless the pressure in the manifold. Now, on a stock engine there's only 2 scenarios: the manifold is under vacuum because the TB is closed or the manifold is at atmospheric cux the TB is open. When the TB is closed the PCV restrict the passage while when the TB is open the PCV is fully open.

On a NA there's only one case when the manifold is above atm and that's when you get a backfire. In this situation the PCV closes to avoid the backfire to enter the crankcase.

The other thing to keep in mind is that blow-by increase as load increase.

When you go under boost, the additional pressure increases even more blow-by. In your case, when you're under boost you're blow-by is max but the PCV is shut closed so pressure build up in the crankcase.

Bottom line: I think a good approach in your case, although I'm not a fan of it, is to remove the PCV all together and went in the atmosphere. Basically just put a little filter on the out of the oil seprator.

That way you don't loose boost thorugh the PCV (and increase the crankcase pressure, which is bad for performance) and when under boost, the crankcase is free to vent all the blow-bys...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Well, there could be some issues with it.

The term "Positive" in PCV means that the valve keeps the cranckase at atmospheric pressure regardless the pressure in the manifold. Now, on a stock engine there's only 2 scenarios: the manifold is under vacuum because the TB is closed or the manifold is at atmospheric cux the TB is open. When the TB is closed the PCV restrict the passage while when the TB is open the PCV is fully open.

On a NA there's only one case when the manifold is above atm and that's when you get a backfire. In this situation the PCV closes to avoid the backfire to enter the crankcase.

The other thing to keep in mind is that blow-by increase as load increase.

When you go under boost, the additional pressure increases even more blow-by. In your case, when you're under boost you're blow-by is max but the PCV is shut closed so pressure build up in the crankcase.

Bottom line: I think a good approach in your case, although I'm not a fan of it, is to remove the PCV all together and went in the atmosphere. Basically just put a little filter on the out of the oil seprator.

That way you don't loose boost thorugh the PCV (and increase the crankcase pressure, which is bad for performance) and when under boost, the crankcase is free to vent all the blow-bys...
I'm not loosing any boost through the PCV, I did that once and put 15psi in the motor and had oil all over the engine bay from the oil cap, dip-stick tube poped up, etc. I installed another metal mechanical PCV as a one-way valve upstream and that solved the issue of boosting the crankcase. I think I can setup 2 one-way valves so it still does PCV during vacuum and vents under boost. Not sure if it will work but I'm going to give it a try
Old 09-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
lpcapital

Here's an interesting article: http://cjsupra.kendra.com/PCV-Can.html

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Here's an interesting article: http://cjsupra.kendra.com/PCV-Can.html

Nice read. I created my own triple PCV system that is working pretty well (at least I think it is). I will post diagrams in the forced induction thread after I draw them up later today. It allows PCV until boost hits then it blocks boost from blowing through PCV and vents blow-by through a filter. Everything is run through a catch can so no mess...