318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 35,233 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
gameon

Default My first BMW, couple of questions please

Hi All.
I'm new here...so....hello

Just bought a bmw.

Have an issue I'd like to sort out.

There are fag burn marks in the drivers seat and the back seats. Is it best to look for a perfectly fitting seat covers, or does someone know a way to repair burn marks?

Be grateful of any help received. Great forum
gameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i seem to remember 80mph being around 3500 rpms so 70mph @ 3000rpms sounds about right. i've changed to a 3.73LSD so mine is even higher

typically BMW speedos read high (eg: tell you you're going 80 when you're in fact going slower than that) so that's a new one. i guess it would depend on what's causing it to read low. there's a sensor in the diff that counts pulses. i know the wires head up into the body area after that, but not sure where they go

not sure what you can use to fix cigarette burns. i imagine these cloth seats?

and welcome to the site!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
thesk8nmidget

stock ti's rev quite high due to such a short gear ratio mix between the rear end and tranny.

when i decided to do a Limited slip differential swap i chose a rear end wth longer gears and now i cruise at 80 on the highway at 3000 rpm's

i am not sure for the slow speedo so i'll let someone else cover that.

and for the seats i would suggest new seats, or a nice custom job

maybe get factory fabric to match bmw style
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
gameon

Thanks for the quick replies and the welcome.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
ATF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameon View Post
Previous owner installed a hawk alarm system. Opens the door with the hawk fob, when I start the car though the doors lock, and when I turn off the engine and remove key the doors open. Told this is normal, but wished I could control when it locks and unlocks. Anyone else have one of these hawk alarms with the same symptoms?
Sounds like an anti-carjacking feature. Most new cars do it these days when you put the car into drive.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #6
gameon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Sounds like an anti-carjacking feature. Most new cars do it these days when you put the car into drive.
Ah yeah, that make sense. Still wish I could disable it though. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
ATF

Well it's not exactly an anti carjack thing..

"Locking doors while Driving
When you press brake pedal your system will automatically lock all doors while driving. Turn
ignition off to open all doors.
Please note: if ignition on and any doors opened, it will not lock doors via above method."

I just decides to lock you in.

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i personally don't like the car making the choice for me. if i want the doors locked, i'll freakin' lock 'em!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
teetime4one

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
i personally don't like the car making the choice for me. if i want the doors locked, i'll freakin' lock 'em!
LOL
my car doesn't lock from the inside.
if someone (my buddy Ryan...who does it all the time) is in the passenger seat and rests their arm on the lock button...the door locks.
otherwise, there is no lock "button" on the dash or center console.
at first this had me baffled...now i could care less.
also, it doesn't lock when i put it into drive.
...unless my buddy Ryan rests his arm on the button that quickly. lol

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
elchicano

Yea my speedometer is off too, it says i'm going 5 miles faster than what i'm actually doing. Which is koo because it has saved me alot from the cops.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime4one View Post
LOL
if someone (my buddy Ryan...who does it all the time) is in the passenger seat and rests their arm on the lock button...the door locks.
you dont have a lock button near your window button????? weird I have one and my old Ti had one. I thought they all did.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
otherwise, there is no lock "button" on the dash or center console. at first this had me baffled...now i could care less.
eh? i'll have to take a look at this when i see your car next

Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #13
elchicano

Quote:
LOL
I didn't notice it when i saw your interior, seems starnge i thought all of the Ti's came with the lock button.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #14
teetime4one

Vehicles

nope...nothing.
two window buttons
no lock button.
should i go take pictures?

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

lol ... maybe it's a 95 thing, no central locking?