318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 10:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
Yesterday 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 47,121 Views
Cali Top owners: How...
07-14-2014 04:29 PM
Last post by Trusted-1
03-15-2024 02:37 AM
2 Replies, 44,214 Views
FOR SALE: 82k mile 1995...
03-15-2024 01:24 AM
Last post by di318
03-15-2024 01:24 AM
0 Replies, 39,801 Views
BMW E36 Compact rear...
03-13-2024 12:56 PM
Last post by BMW Welsh rally
03-13-2024 12:56 PM
0 Replies, 50,669 Views
WTB: 318ti with...
04-20-2022 08:57 AM
Last post by di318
03-10-2024 08:08 PM
21 Replies, 247,406 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Cybersid13
03-09-2024 02:12 PM
209 Replies, 680,528 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
themightyquinn

Default Suspension overhaul...

I posted in the "suspension" forum but this one seems to get alot more replies. Just looking for some feedback:

So I just got off the phone with the original owner of my ti, and after asking him a few questions it became apparent that most of the suspension bits and pieces are original! Like, "we've seen 140k miles and there's now nothing left of us" original. No wonder the suspension feels so wonky...

So anyway, I've been searching for parts. I've decided I want to more or less replace everything that can be replaced. Here's my list so far:

>Control Arms (Meyle steel w/ balljoint and powerflex offset front bushings)
>Bilstein sport shocks
>H&R sport springs
>Front strut mounts
>Rear strut mounts (reinforced)
>Rear trailing arm bushings
>Sway bar endlinks and mounting bushings (maybe thicker bars while I'm at it)
>X-brace
>Rear subframe bushings
>Strut tower bars
>Tie-rod ends??
>What about wheel hubs and bearings?

I know there are some things that I can just slap on whenever (like the strut tower bars), and that some components are easier installed when installing other components. What would be a reasonable scheme for installing all this crap? Which items should I install at the same time to make my life easier? Did I forget anything or is there something in my list thats not needed? I'm planning on finishing this by the end of the summer btw. Thanks guys.

Current euro: Black MkIII VW Gti VR6
themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
anthonyl

I plan to do all of those things in a few weeks. maybe not the x brace quite yet. I also want to install a new flex disk and replace trans mounts.
anthonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
themightyquinn

Yeah after all the suspension work I doubt I'll have cash to start working on the transmission and diff. Eventually though...

I'm obviously going to do struts/springs/mounts all at the same time, and I figure I do the control arms at the same time. If I already have all that stuff out, does it make sense to do ahead and attack the sway-bar end links/mounts/bars? Or is that just as easily done at a later date? What about the RTAB's in the back? Should I just turn this into a 3-day weekend project and try to knock out everything at once? Or can I do some things later just as easily? Do I need to do wheel hubs/bearings and tie-rod ends?

Lots and lots of questions but I wanna do this right and go through the least amount of pain possible haha. C'mon guys, chime on in!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
elfhearse

I did the Bilstein Sport shocks, H&R springs and rear strut mounts myself. The subframe bushings were shot too (@99,000 miles) so I had my trusted local Indy mechanic replace those with OEM subframe bushings. (I have Ireland Eng. bushings in my M Coupe and they make it pretty stiff.. ti is my DD)
He talked me out of RTAB's, saying they rarely wear out (?)
elfhearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
LobsterMagnet

As far as I can tell, you may as well do all of your front bushings & such while you've got it ripped apart for the large parts, same with the back... no real reason to wait and do any of it at a later time.

I remember reading that the subframe bushings are a pretty big job... some of the answers to your questions are spread out in threads in the suspension forum and on BF.C too... just gotta drudge the old threads up and read through them.

I currently have sitting in my living room:

-RSMs
-RSM reinforcement plates
-RSM gaskets
-FSMs
-FSM gaskets
-Meyle control arms w/metal ball joints
-Bilstein sports
-H&R's (should be here any day)
-Misc nuts & bolts

I'm still trying to figure out if I NEED to do the offset bushings myself... I want to do everything right, but I'm just under $1200 and I have yet to pay someone to put the front end together for me as I'm not interested in a project of that magnitude right now and I need to be daily driving the ti asap.

Best advice I can give you is burn that search button up and read read read.. I've been doing so for 2-3 weeks and I've still got no idea what's going on, but I'm a little closer
LobsterMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
themightyquinn

Haha, Lobster I totally feel you. I think I'm leaning a little towards doing the bilsteins/H&Rs/mounts, control arms/sway bars, and brakes myself.

Nothing else has been touched in 140k miles. Read again: everything suspension-wise is original! I'm thinking I might have someone do the subframe and RTABs now that you mention it...

Buy the parts and have someone do the tie-rods and wheel hubs/bearings? I'm not experiencing any noticable problems, but I figure 140k is alot of miles no matter what component it is...

Lobster...pics soon?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Mad-Machine

when I did my front suspension. I did the smart thing and bought new lollipops and had the bushings pressed in ahead of time. Made the whole thing an afternoon's worth of work to replace both struts with the Bilstien coilovers, new control arms, and ball joints... along with doing the rear shocks and springs.

I did not do the rear bushings yet as I still need a new control arm
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn View Post
I posted in the "suspension" forum but this one seems to get alot more replies.
IMHO, it would have been better to bump the existing thread in the suspension forum, rather than start a duplicate one here.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
themightyquinn

I was going to but that sub-forum didn't seem to get a quarter of the traffic this one gets. My fault, next time I'll stick in the appropriate forum.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
LobsterMagnet

140k is definately a whole lot of miles, but also, don't lead yourself into fixing what's not broken... I only say this because parts add up real quick & my charge statement still makes me dizzy.

I'm at 115k right now and I'm at a similar crossroad as you (in the 'since it's gonna be apart anyway might as well replace ______' mindset) but I also try to think of it this way: My ti is driving fine with no noises now, and after this project I still need an alarm, misc. interior pieces, possibly a ZKE (and a slew of other non car stuff).. so do I really need to replace _______?
That being said, if you got it, spend it!

As far as tie rods/hubs/bearings, I'd also be curious to know if anyone can say how hard those are to do?

I'm going to attempt the rear replacement; I need to know torque specifications for:
-RSM bolts
-Rear shocks
Also:
-What kind of spring compressor do I rent to do the back springs?
(Sorry to jack your thread but this seems a good place for suspension questions).

Pics will come soon as I've been doing lots of little stuff and I'd like to make one big thread for it all in the next week or two.
LobsterMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 AM   #11
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn View Post
I was going to but that sub-forum didn't seem to get a quarter of the traffic this one gets.
I understand that, really I do. But, if you "bump" the thread, that makes it show up when folks use the "new posts" list. But, you probably know that. heh heh

It is probably be too late (and might be unnecessary) to transfer the info in this thread to the original thread, but you should post in the other thread a link to this one. That way, just in case someone is browsing the suspension forum, reading subject lines and spots the original, they can still find the info here.

BTW... I'm only pointing this stuff out because it won't be long until my suspension needs a little lovin' and I'm sure I'll be searching for info.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
themightyquinn

Yeah I can definitely do that. And Lobster I don't care haha, we have the same questions more or less, so the more info that's posted the better for everyone. Make sure you take some pics while you dismantle and (hopefully) reassemble everything when you do it!

I agree with the "if it's not broken don't fix it" philosophy, and honestly the hubs and bearings and tie rods are just at the edge of what I'm capable of doing, so we'll see. I also need those extra things outside of suspension and car, but who knows haha. Sounds like we're in the same boat man...

Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
themightyquinn

bump to the top!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
mohaughn

Tie rods are as easy to do as the front control arms...

The bearings are a pain in the butt. Definitely let a pro-shop do that, or make sure you have the right tools. You'll need a heavy hammer slide bearing puller to get them out..

I've heard of people breaking bearing pullers to get the rears out...

I had a standing quote with my mechanic at roughly 1000$ to replace all the bearing/hub assemblies on the front and rear. That included parts and labor.. I would probably get that price down by price shopping the parts online. That was just his retail cost to me.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Mad-Machine

Honestly, I don't think we need the offset bushings. I replaced mine with the regular style Powerflex poly bushings.. just about perfect.

I am thinking about replacing the passengerside one with an offset. I have a slight amount of negative camber I cannot dial out of that side. The car was totalled once and rebuilt before I bought it.. so no telling if that suspension point is to spec or not
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote