318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 438 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,001 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
///R

Unhappy Brakes help please (ABS)

Hi guys,

Got some brake issues, just looking for some advice in what the problem may be.

I've had issues with the brakes since I first got the car, they have never felt strong enough, very soft.

So on the last MOT a few months ago, it failed for brake in balance, the MOT centre changed the front pads claiming this was the issue. However when they changed the pads the brakes just got worse, passenger side calliper started seizing and overheating badly, so as a result I needed new front disks and a new calliper, all was fine for a few weeks, then the brakes became very 'rough' and some bad vibrating through them.

Now the ABS warning light is on, but the strange thing is the traction control light is also on?

So just wondering if you guys had any advice on what to do next, I think possibly the rear disks need changed, but do you think the other calliper has now started to seize or is this now an ABS problem? or both?

I have been told the brake hoses are fine, brake fluid has also been changed and bled.

Thanks for reading, any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
///R
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

If the brakes are chattering a bit on braking, that will trigger ABS and ASC-T warnings.
I had a slight crack on a rotor that I believe got bigger when hot which caused the steering wheel to shake.
Or it might have been a hot spot.

Were the guide pins replaced?
You are using stock guide pin bushings, right?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
///R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post

Were the guide pins replaced?
I believe so yes.

Quote:
You are using stock guide pin bushings, right?
Yes, all stock.

The steering wheel did shake badly, but that went away when the disks and clipper were changed.

The warning lights are on constant, even from start.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
M3ti-ish

if they still feel soft it could be there is an air bubble in one of the lines, also with your light, you might need a dealer to turn it off! or need to sensor
M3ti-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti-ish View Post
if they still feel soft it could be there is an air bubble in one of the lines, also with your light, you might need a dealer to turn it off! or need to sensor
The OP never said anything about the brakes feeling soft. He did say that he already changed the fluid and bled the system though And no, you don't need to take the car to the dealer to turn the light off. It goes out automatically once the fault is fixed. You can read/clear the codes yourself with a scantool, or perhaps you could have a local shop read them for you. Here in the states, most good shops will read them and diagnose it for free. A couple things I would recommend checking would be the vibration screws on the rotors(you'll need to remove the wheels to check this), make sure they're tight. They can easily back out and cause your rotors to vibrate. Also check the anti-rattle clips on the calipers. These hold the pads in place and sometimes break or fall off. And finally I'd check the ABS sensors themselves as this will often cause a light. They're located on the inside of each caliper and often get dirty and grimey. Spray them out with either brake or electronics cleaner and they should work fine. The shop may have simply forgotten to install them or plug them in.

M3ti-ish, please don't post misinformation on this. If you don't know what you're talking about, simply don't post anything and wait for someone who knows about cars to chime in. If you still feel the need to clog the internet with BS misinformation, may I suggest visiting bimmerforums.com
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
M3ti-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
The OP never said anything about the brakes feeling soft. He did say that he already changed the fluid and bled the system though And no, you don't need to take the car to the dealer to turn the light off. It goes out automatically once the fault is fixed. You can read/clear the codes yourself with a scantool, or perhaps you could have a local shop read them for you. Here in the states, most good shops will read them and diagnose it for free. A couple things I would recommend checking would be the vibration screws on the rotors(you'll need to remove the wheels to check this), make sure they're tight. They can easily back out and cause your rotors to vibrate. Also check the anti-rattle clips on the calipers. These hold the pads in place and sometimes break or fall off. And finally I'd check the ABS sensors themselves as this will often cause a light. They're located on the inside of each caliper and often get dirty and grimey. Spray them out with either brake or electronics cleaner and they should work fine. The shop may have simply forgotten to install them or plug them in.

M3ti-ish, please don't post misinformation on this. If you don't know what you're talking about, simply don't post anything and wait for someone who knows about cars to chime in. If you still feel the need to clog the internet with BS misinformation, may I suggest visiting bimmerforums.com
i stand corrected, you should actually blow it out your a*s cooljess. and then you should head over to bimmerforums.com oh i bet your an outcast there, so you came here to be an Ethug! yay for us!
M3ti-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti-ish View Post
i stand corrected, you should actually blow it out your a*s cooljess. and then you should head over to bimmerforums.com oh i bet your an outcast there, so you came here to be an Ethug! yay for us!
No, I actually came here to help the community.

OP, thinking about this more, the fact that your ABS and ASC lights are on makes me think that there's some other problems occuring. The two systems are in fact tied together, so it's possible that one system can be affected by the other. Is the "rough" feeling that you described when braking more like a buzzing feel in the pedal? If so, it may be your ABS pump kicking in. It normally activates when the car senses skidding, as if you were to slam on the brakes when driving on gravel or sand. Also, are all four of your tires the same size? I've seen people run unmatching tires(different diameters) and the car thinks one wheel is spinning faster than the others(which it is). This will trigger an ASC light and if severe enough can cause the ABS pump to turn on every time you apply the brakes.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
KINGAMR

Coming from the E39 world this is a common problem in the platform mentioned caused by a malfunctioning ABS module. may be that is your problem although it isn't common in E36's.
KINGAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
///R

Thanks for your replys and time cooljess76, really appreciate it, gives me a place to start.

All 4 tyres are the same yes, all fairly new with good even tread.
I guess you could call it a kind of buzzing, its actually worse at low speed, feels kinda like a warped disk would feel, hence why I got new front disks (they needed done anyway) or it feels almost like the abs is actually being activated when it shouldn't be, like the brakes are coming on and off, which is why I thought its possible the other calliper is now seizing.

but going on what you said, I would say check the first few things first as they are easier and cheaper fixes:

1. Vibration screws
2. anti-rattle clips
3. ABS Sensor(s)
4. ABS Pump
Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
cooljess76

The ABS pump is a pretty pricey unit. If in fact yours is at fault, I have a spare that I'm willing to ship across the pond if it'll save you some cash.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
The ABS pump is a pretty pricey unit. If in fact yours is at fault, I have a spare that I'm willing to ship across the pond if it'll save you some cash.
Think the mounting is the same?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
cooljess76

Quote:
Think the mounting is the same?
hmmm. Good call Steven, I'm honestly not sure. Realoem lists the same part number for RHD and LHD cars though, so I'm guessing it would. But that's just a guess.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....=on&series=E36
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Chris S

If you don't have a code reader you can check the sensors by measuring the impedance, should be around 1.1Kohm (you don't even need to take the wheel off if you turn in it). The ABS wheel sensors are also used for the traction control if I remember correctly hence both lights coming on.

I also had a caliper seize and the associated ABS sensor fail at the same time, so seems most likely related.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
If you don't have a code reader you can check the sensors by measuring the impedance, should be around 1.1Kohm (you don't even need to take the wheel off if you turn in it). The ABS wheel sensors are also used for the traction control if I remember correctly hence both lights coming on.

I also had a caliper seize and the associated ABS sensor fail at the same time, so seems most likely related.
Hey you know what, we're onto something here! I bet the caliper seizing melted or damaged the ABS sensor. Replace that sensor first and see if the lights go out
Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
///R

Thanks Chris S, I think you could be on to something there also, there was a lot of heat generated when the calliper seized at one point the were smoking.

The lights actually decided to turn themselves off this morning, but i'll be looking into that sensor over the weekend and i'll report back.

Thanks very much for all your help so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Cheers.