318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
montjuic

Greetings all,
So the ceramic is deteriorating in my catalytic converter and making that awful rattling sound. Over the weekend, the dreaded ‘check engine’ light blips on—10 to 1 it's the fault code from the CAT/ oxygen sensors. What sucks is my ’98 has 96,000mi and according to the dealer the Emissions Warranty runs out at 80,000 and the CAT isn't covered on my CPO. And I was just thinking of getting a new ANSA exhaust! Now that money has to go towards a pricey CAT.
Does anyone know of a reliable source on the Internet or in the Bay Area for aftermarket or used CATs for the TI? I’m not excited about buying the $2K piece from the dealer.

thanks in advance,
B
montjuic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
Phil Marx

In response to so many complaints, BMW changed the warranty on the M44 cat to 10-years, unlimited mileage. My car had its replaced fairly recently at beyond 100k miles. Ask your dealer. If you need it, I may be able to find the defect code used for the repair on my car. I think they list the bulletin at Alldata.com

-Phil Marx
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #3
Phil Marx

Heck, it appears to be a recall which is even better:

Emissions Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
1. 180100 MAR 01 Recall - Catalytic Converter Replacement

Go to: http://alldata.com/TSB/06/98067532.html

I can't find an EPA link.

Wait! I found a copy of the recall leter. confirming the warranty extension, dated September 2002. It does refer to:

"certain 1998 BMW automobiles equipped with a 1.9 liter engine. We estimate that only a small percentage fo the vehicles will develop the problem which is first indicated by a catalyst rattling noise due to a loose monolith inside the catalyst housing. The problem may also be indicated by the Check Engine Light."

"BMW will extend the emissions warranty for the catalytic converter from 8 years or 80,000 miles to 10 years with no mileage limit."

It lists a number to call: 1-800-831-1117 but it says to call the nearest BMW dealer for an appointment.

I'm happy to make a copy for you by fax or scan. Let me know. It would be great to have a copy of the TSB if anyone has an Alldata account.

My car's cat was replaced on 7/15/2003 at 108,900 miles using defect code 1832918500.

Give your local dealer a call and educate them. Good luck!

-Phil Marx
Old 03-16-2004, 12:05 AM   #4
montjuic

Hey,
thanks for the information!!! I just got off the phone with BMWNA and
gave them my VIN, etc. and confirmed that MY car DOES get a new
CAT under the extended warranty. I already 'went to town' with the dealer on Friday, so I'll be returning this afternoon with my newfound knowledge. That letter could be helpful--e-mail me and I'll tell you my fax #. Hopefully it will work out, it's just so disheartening that my local BMW dealership gave me such friction when I first called for help.

thanks again,
Brian
montjuic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:47 AM   #5
C4-C

Is this something that is strongly suggested to be done to all ti's? I have a 98 as well... no problems so far... at least no light indicated. Also, I have a supersprint exhaust... would that invalidate the warranty/recall?
'98 ti avus blue sport / m tech trim / stock M44 / real carbon fiber dash kit / m pedals / One piece head lights / cali top / custom 10" sub box / 10" xtant sub / xtant 1.1i amp / passenger side 7" screen installed in sun visor / pioneer avic-n1 / 18" mille miglia 11-3 / black m3 vader seats/ Welsh Royals/

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...1aroyalcar.gif
C4-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:05 AM   #6
Phil Marx

No reason to think that an aftermarket exhaust would invalidate an emission warranty. The language specifies that all original terms and conditions apply to this extension so read the original.

-Phil Marx
Old 03-16-2004, 04:59 AM   #7
2ndBimmer

My cat went shortly after i bought the car. Its the only thing thats gone really wrong with the car (coupla hoses broke recently but thats minor).
When the cat was going the car sounded like an uber riced Honda. I also noticed as i went the engine just wouldnt rev. It got so bad that i couldnt run over 2500rpm. Luckily BMW covered it.
225/50/16's Yokohama Advan S4's
Panasonic 70Wx4 CD/MP3 player + 4x Alpine 6x9's rear
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

If the dealer gives you lip about the aftermarket exhaust, simply say it was damaged and replaced.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:20 AM   #9
barische

yeah man my cat went bad around 2000 and it was replaced by the dealer for no charge right now the car is stock and its running perfectly.
but i always have the check engine light on i dont know why
my oil is fine maybe somethin wiht the air filter or i duino can u help me ty
Old 09-15-2004, 04:14 AM   #10
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

I have a 98ti and my cat was replaced around 45k,it was covered by some warranty. It got so bad my car wouldn't go faster than 35 mph.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 AM   #11
bobgaras2

I have a 98ti and it has same problem, raddaling noise in the converter. I called the dealer and asked if there is extended warranty on the catalytic converter but he said that there is only 5years/50k miles warrentry. Is there a way i can get it replaced from a dealer by providing him with some good information.

thanks, Bogdan
bobgaras2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:39 AM   #12
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Scroll back and look at message #3.
Or http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....08&postcount=3
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:10 AM   #13
mrnine

Does anyone who has paid for a catalytic converter replacement or gotten estimates have a gory figure for me? Is it actually "$2k" as mentioned earlier in this thread?

My 1998 318ti check engine light came on awhile ago and my peake says it's catalyst efficiency. Now today the thing just got VERY loud and I'd say it will need replaced.

Unfortunately, I spoke with BMWNA on Thursday and they say mine is not covered under this recall. Is there any other aftermarket or other option?
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #14
mrnine

Like this? No listing for 318ti tho:

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/dec-...ies-and-z3.htm

I found that BavAuto does list a CC for the 1998 318ti, a BMW1461 part number. But when I search for that and reference it back to this page:

http://www.olyonline.com/BMW/exhaust.asp?D1=020.057.96

And click the "Click for Picture" link,

http://www.olyonline.com/BMW/Bsl_Gifs/020.057.96.gif

I think my problem is more likely with the 286-177 rear silencer.

Anyone have any insight as to what my options are here? I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I have an aftermarket Supersprint exhaust installed.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #15
mrnine

Oops...

Okay, it was late; I wasn't thinking properly. Basically, I realize that the "rear silencer" is my muffler.

Upon close investigation this morning with the benefit of daylight and the absence of Guinness, here's what appears to have happened. The main hanging bracket that holds my muffler in place has broken free entirely. My muffler is now hanging somewhat freely connected only by the rear hanger and it's connection at the catalytic converter. Which presents a couple questions:

1) On a Supersprint Exhaust, could this "hanger" be welded back into place by a shop who knew what they were doing?

2) More importantly, would a "catalyst efficiency" check engine light come on as a result of a major leak further down the exhaust line?

I'm hoping that I don't have a faulty catalyst but rather just the hole in the exhaust. My biggest fear is that this loose exhaust line would have harmed my catalytic converter somehow. Inspection of it though appears to show that it's fully intact.

If I can't get this welded and I have to replace the muffler altogether...should I just go with Supersprint or perhaps Stromung? Or has this question been beaten to death?

Thx