318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 982,220 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-18-2005, 04:06 AM   #1
adamud

Default Fuses are poppin

I dont think my problem is a good one. I keep on blowing fuses like crazy. First it was one. Then 3 in a row. Ive decided to stop driving until I find out what the problem might be. I have already talked to some people at my local bmw dealer and they say i might have a problem, but i got no answer. I need some thoughts or answers.
adamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

more details ... tell the story in as much detail as possible (then wait for someone like john firestone to tell you exactly what's wrong ).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
adamud

I was driving down I-35 south around 94 when i noticed my gas and temp guages were not working. Soon enough a cop pulled me over and handed me a hefty ticket and told me all my tail lights were out.
(Next Day) I check the fuse box and fuse #46 is fried. I replace it and the guages and brake lights work again.
(1 week later) I take it over to a bmw certified technicians house for his open house. We pop the hood and while their looking at air box i try to roll down the windows. Nothing. We pop the fuse box and 3 fuses in a row have blown. I think they were 13 14 15. somewhere around those numbers. I replace them and everything is good again. But when all 3 of the fuses blew at one time it seemed to have burned part of the fuse box. The 2 technician (one even owning a club sport) didnt know the answer (thanks to beer) and said it probably wasnt a good sign.

The End
Old 08-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
John Firestone

It would be very helpful to know exactly which four fuses keep blowing. Blowing F14 should take out the electric windows. According to this ETM, there's no fuse at position 13. If you had three consecutive fuse positions go out, that would suggest F14, F15 and F16 which feed the windows, front fog lights and A/C compressor. F46 feeds your brake lights and a few other things.

Hmmm. Lots of fairly heavy consumers involved. Have you measured the electrical system voltage while the engine is turning at moderate to high rpms? This is just a wild guess, but I wonder if you have a bad voltage regulator producing an overvoltage problem. You might as well check and rule that out if you don't!
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
adamud

sorry it was 14 15 and 16 bc it was the windows that went out and 46 was the tail lights and guages.

Does the bentley manual tell how to check voltage at high rpms or is there a simple way to check?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
John Firestone

You could measure the voltage at the glove box flashlight plug. It may read a few tenths of a volt too low but that should be good enough to see an overvoltage problem. It should jump to something like 13.5 - 14 volts when you start the engine and then change very little as you vary the engine speed.

An intermitent connection to the battery or a faulty battery might also cause fuse-blowing overvoltages. That is something you really wouldn't want.

Please consider these as just a couple wild guesses to check and rule out. Your generator, regulator and battery could all be perfectly fine!
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote