318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 34,218 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,631,055 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
Juni

Default Finally posted Pics of my car!

This is the color matched heat treated engine paint. Took me forever to finish that project.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/50...cture_0151.jpg

This is before the paint shop had it.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/50...icture_014.jpg

Tell me what you guys think.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

how did you do the painting of your valve cover and such? did you do it yourself or have a shop do it? if the former, did you bake it in your kitchen oven? i read on pelican parts to do that and i'm wondering about the effect of fumes/residue that may remain in the oven.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #3
Juni

I did it myself, basically I used airplane stripper first. Then I sanded it down to the bare metal. Next I primed the cover with high heat primer. Then I heated up the valve cover with a high powered heat gun......repeated the priming step 3 times. Then, I painted it with high heat sliver engine paint, once again used the high powered heat gun for a few minutes, repeated the painting steps 3 times. Lastly, I used the high heat clear coat 3 times, while using the heat gun in between each coat. After that, I let it cure for at least a week, then I placed it in the oven, for about 30 minutes, after which when it was piping hot, I sprayed one more time with clear coat. The following week, I put it back on the car.

I did the same for the intake manifold. As far as the remaining fumes in the oven, as long as you properly air it out, you should be fine.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

cool. good to know i'm going to toast some parts up then over the next week, the ones that actually fit in the oven anyway. the flameproof paint i used listed a specific curing procedure, i'll have to look it up.

looks good!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
Juni

Thanks! Just be careful not to toast them too much, the underside of the valve cover has some rubber gaskets you dont want to melt. I'm not sure how easy they would be to replace or remove. I left mine on, and was just carefull not to melt those badboys.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i'll be cooking up the heat shields, exhaust hanger, exhaust vibration damper and some other related parts. although i will be replacing my valve cover gasket before too long so maybe i'll do the cover at that point. since i'm contemplating a car repaint though, i'm not sure what color i'd paint it. too many choices

Old 12-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
Juni

Sounds Good!, Take some pics after your all done.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 AM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

will do. you have any pics of the m coupe wheels or m coupe review mirror in your ti?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
Juni

I didn't think to take any today, but I will as soon I get some time. The wheels are in my basement somewhere. Since there was no interest to buy them, I might just put them on in the Spring.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

sorry, another question on baking parts in your oven, lol. did you put them directly on the wire shelf or a baking pan or what?

EDIT: also, did you just use a standard silver high-temp or did you find something that matched the bmw color code for your ti?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #11
Juni

I just did the wire shelf thing. Nothing to fancy, if I had any kind of creativity in my brain, I would probably do a write-up on it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

here's the article i referenced from pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...d_painting.htm

you'll have to dig through for the actually cleaning up and painting parts as there's a lot of other steps in there.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #13
Juni

That article is much more complete than anything that I couldv'e written. Good find!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i must admit, one of the guys i work with suggested baking the hi-temp parts in the oven and i completely dismissed it because i thought there might be deadly after effects for any food we might cook in the oven ... then i saw this article and started giving it a second though ... then i saw your post and now i'm going to do it, lol.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 AM   #15
Juni

yeah, it should be fine, so long as you air it out properly, you should be fine. Worst comes to worst, after your done, you can always just give the oven a good scrub down with some oven solvent. That should take care of anything that might worry you.