318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 855 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,370 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
halek

Default E46 clown nose mirror

Just fitted an auto dip mirror from an E46 aka 'clown nose mirror'. It has to be the best bargain this year £2.19 + postage from ebay...lmao. E36 auto dips regulary make £40-50 but nobody seems to want the clown noses,I'm guessing they're put off by the big bunch of wires they come with. Very easy to fit, just 2 wires & it works great. I haven't bothered wiring up the alarm led or reverse override - couldn't really see the point.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
stormos

errr, what is an auto dip mirror?
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
halek

The mirror dims (dips) automatically when headlights from a car behind you hit it, saves getting dazzled by HIDs & dicks with their full beam on.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
PettitWC

that's something i could use driving on the highway for hours at a time all the time

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

That's something even I (with radio delete) could appreciate!

Why not wire the alarm LED and reverse override? Those are great features also. And for me, (with no radio; therefore no alarm LED) having the alarm LED up high where it can be seen from a distance in all directions is a great theft deturent...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
davep-uk

thats cool! i want one!

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
That's something even I (with radio delete) could appreciate!

Why not wire the alarm LED and reverse override? Those are great features also. And for me, (with no radio; therefore no alarm LED) having the alarm LED up high where it can be seen from a distance in all directions is a great theft deturent...
To be honest I couldn't be bothered, I'll probably wire in the alarm led when I get time but I really dont see the point of the reverse override. I can honestly say I've never used my rear view mirror to reverse, always twist around in the seat & look straight through the rear window.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
clex2

So the mirror actually moves? That must be a Euro thing because I have retrofitted en e46 clown nose mirror to my ti that has auto dimming. There is a light sensor that detects ambient versus light and the light from the car behind and an internal LCD dims the mirror glass accordingly. The dimming function is disabled when the car is put into reverse. I wired the alarm led and reverse switch to it. It's not hard to do.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Juni

I have the Oval E46 style one in my car. I love the way it looks and the way it fuctions. A must have!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by clex2
So the mirror actually moves? That must be a Euro thing because I have retrofitted en e46 clown nose mirror to my ti that has auto dimming. There is a light sensor that detects ambient versus light and the light from the car behind and an internal LCD dims the mirror glass accordingly. The dimming function is disabled when the car is put into reverse. I wired the alarm led and reverse switch to it. It's not hard to do.
This one sounds the same as yours clex, it doesn't move it dimms. Did you take the led feed from the one on the centre consol or did you go straight from the alarm module?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
angel318ti

No the mirror doesn't move. it just dims when lights hit it. there are a lot of american cars that have it. I have it on my 2000 grand cherokee.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
aceyx

Quote:
That must be a Euro thing
Dipped beams = low beams. An auto dip mirror automatically "dips" the offenders beams (by dimming). It's just a different name for the same thing.

That's the Euro thing
Old 02-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
clex2

Ok, I get it. Dipping (Euro) = dimming (US). Stupid me! I removed my factory Euro alarm LED module from the center console and lengthened the lead, ran it up the drivers A pillar along with the reverse wire, and luckily the factory connector to the mirror came with my mirror and so it was a straight forward tap into plug. Power can be tapped from the dome light wires. There are a few wiring diagrams on bimmerforums to show you which wires are for what. Personally, I like the clown nose. Much more visible. The ultimate mirroe would be the one with the digital compass and home link, an addition to the dimming. And, halek, the price you bought it for is rediculously cheap!
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
halek

Quote:
And, halek, the price you bought it for is rediculously cheap!
I couldn't believe it either, some sellers dont do themselves any favours though. The chap I brought this from just hacked the loom out of the roof & took a picture of the mirror with a ton of wires hanging out of it, half of them weren't even anything to do with the mirror. That & a 'not sure what it fits' description probably put most buyers off. It would have sold for 99p if I didnt snipe it at the last second

I think I'll do what you have clex & wire up the led & reverse override. It's there so it might as well function as BMW intended.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #15
davep-uk

i'm watching a couple on ebay at the moment. my alarm system is not a BMW system will i still be able to rig up the LED?

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote